Generating a confirmation email upon success of CreateUserWizard

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by JJA, Oct 16, 2006.

  1. JJA

    JJA Guest

    I am pretty new to the Membership API and the Login controls of ASP.NET
    2.0. I have lots of this working now but I'd like to extend it a bit.

    I would like to know how to cause the successful creation of a new user
    to result in a "confirmation email" to the email address he provided to
    my CreateUserWizard webcontrol. Despite the richness of this control, I
    cannot see any property that supplies this functionality and I've been
    unable to locate any example of how to do this as part of the use of
    the CreateUserWizard "code-behind".

    I'm visualizing an email sent out which "welcomes the user,etc." and
    provides a URL to click on to take them back to a "continuation" page
    on my site with a Querystring that identifies their userid. Then on
    the "continuation" page, I would want to mark their profile as being
    "confirmed" or "approved" and give them a chance to add to their
    profile information.

    Does anyone know of a place where this technique is described for these
    new webcontrols?

    I cannot find much at all about the whole concept of a "confirmation
    email" and I am wondering if it is no longer considered a "best
    practice". Many sites I've used seem to use it ostensibly to ensure
    that the person who supplied the email address at time of account
    creation is in fact the owner of that email account and that no typos
    occurred in the txtEmail text box, etc.
    JJA, Oct 16, 2006