Generating a UUID that is the same every time for a single system

John Fly

I need a rock solid way to generate a UUID or similar ID, that will
generate the same ID every time for an individual system(computer).

I would not like to store the ID on the system(i.e file or in memory),

Any help is appreciated.

Stefan Ram

John Fly said:
I need a rock solid way to generate a UUID or similar ID, that will
generate the same ID every time for an individual system(computer).

OK, just give me a rock solid definition of »individual system«.

Is it the same system after the memory was extended, after the
operating system was upgraded/changed, after the processor was
changed, after the hard disk was exchanged, after the network
interface hardware was changed, after the network
identification was changed, after is has been sold/lend to
another owner ... ?

John Fly

OK, just give me a rock solid definition of »individual system«.

Is it the same system after the memory was extended, after the
operating system was upgraded/changed, after the processor was
changed, after the hard disk was exchanged, after the network
interface hardware was changed, after the network
identification was changed, after is has been sold/lend to
another owner ... ?

Easily understood that no way to be 100%, but If I was doing this with
a C/C++ app I would usually try to grab the CPU ID, or some ID off the
motherboard.

Something that will change very infrequently.

Joshua Cranmer

John said:
I need a rock solid way to generate a UUID or similar ID, that will
generate the same ID every time for an individual system(computer).

I would not like to store the ID on the system(i.e file or in memory),

Any help is appreciated.
There was a recent discussion on this in c.l.j.programmer under the
title "securing my software (unique computer identification number)",
first post 3/4/2007 1:32 PM (try
I'm not sure
if that will work though).

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?=

John said:
I need a rock solid way to generate a UUID or similar ID, that will
generate the same ID every time for an individual system(computer).

If it is the same for every call on the system, then it is not
an UUID.

:)

I think you should use JNI to call some C++ that did something
very hardware specific to get an ID.

Arne