    Thanks.

    Tod Birdsall
    software blog: http://tod1d.net

    Tod Birdsall, MCSD for .NET, Feb 5, 2007

  2. One thing I forgot to mention is that I am looking at GMSE Imaging as
    a possible solution. Has anyone had any experience with it?

    http://imaging.gmse.net/

    Tod Birdsall, MCSD for .NET, Feb 5, 2007

  3. Thomas Hansen, Feb 5, 2007
  4. There are many different barcode schemas.
    The most easiest one is Code39

    Almost all of them are pretty much a special font. Meaning that A is 2 fat
    lines and 3 narrow lines, B is 1 fat line, 2 narrow and then 1 fat.......
    (it's just a sample).

    So to insert barcode into anything you simply need to output text with
    special font. You can download code39 font for free from internet. The
    differences between schemas is in how they have error corrections.
    For example code39 is prefixed and suffixed with symbol '*'

    So Order number 345 in code#9 notation will be *39*. Then Barcode reader
    will automatically recognize it and enter into computer as if you punched
    keys 3 and 9 on a keyboard and hit enter (that behavior is configurable in a
    reader)

    To Read barcode you need a scanner similar to those you can see in a store.

    George.

    George Ter-Saakov, Feb 5, 2007
  5. On Feb 5, 2:42 pm, "George Ter-Saakov" <> wrote:
    > There are many different barcode schemas.
    > The most easiest one is Code39
    >
    > Almost all of them are pretty much a special font. Meaning that A is 2 fat
    > lines and 3 narrow lines, B is 1 fat line, 2 narrow and then 1 fat.......
    > (it's just a sample).
    >
    > So to insert barcode into anything you simply need to output text with
    > special font. You can download code39 font for free from internet. The
    > differences between schemas is in how they have error corrections.
    > For example code39 is prefixed and suffixed with symbol '*'
    >
    > So Order number 345 in code#9 notation will be *39*. Then Barcode reader
    > will automatically recognize it and enter into computer as if you punched
    > keys 3 and 9 on a keyboard and hit enter (that behavior is configurable in a
    > reader)
    >
    > To Read barcode you need a scanner similar to those you can see in a store.
    >
    > George.
    >
    > "Tod Birdsall, MCSD for .NET" <> wrote in messagenews:...
    >

    > > Hi All,

    > > I am looking for recommendations on ways/components to implement the
    > > following features in my application:

    > > 1. Dynamically generate a barcode image to insert into a PDF document
    > > using iText.

    > > 2. Read the previously generated barcode from a tiff image.

    > > Has anyone had experience with the above and could offer
    > > recommendations?

    > > Thanks.

    > > Tod Birdsall
    > > software blog:http://tod1d.net- Hide quoted text -

    I should have been more specific. The user will print a document
    containing the dynamically generated barcode. After filling out the
    document by hand, the user will fax the document back to me. I will
    receive it as a tiff file. I would like my app to read the barcode off
    the tiff file and handle the document accordingly.

    Tod Birdsall, MCSD for .NET, Feb 5, 2007
  6. I see now.
    Unfortunately you will need some sort of image recognition library.

    I am positive that such algorithms/programs exists because they work in real
    life with the barcode readers.
    Most likely you will easily develop one but my advice would be to buy

    http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Programming/Components_and_Libraries/DTK_Barcode_Reader_SDK.html
    or type into Google

    "barcode reader algorithm from tiff file"

    George Ter-Saakov, Feb 5, 2007
  7. On Feb 5, 3:24 pm, "George Ter-Saakov" <> wrote:
    > I see now.
    > Unfortunately you will need some sort of image recognition library.
    >
    > I am positive that such algorithms/programs exists because they work in real
    > life with the barcode readers.
    > Most likely you will easily develop one but my advice would be to buy
    >
    > http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Programming/Components_and_Librari...
    > or type into Google
    >
    > "barcode reader algorithm from tiff file"
    >
    > George.
    >
    > "Tod Birdsall, MCSD for .NET" <> wrote in messagenews:...
    >
    > > On Feb 5, 2:42 pm, "George Ter-Saakov" <> wrote:
    > >> There are many different barcode schemas.
    > >> The most easiest one is Code39

    > >> Almost all of them are pretty much a special font. Meaning that A is 2
    > >> fat
    > >> lines and 3 narrow lines, B is 1 fat line, 2 narrow and then 1 fat.......
    > >> (it's just a sample).

    > >> So to insert barcode into anything you simply need to output text with
    > >> special font. You can download code39 font for free from internet. The
    > >> differences between schemas is in how they have error corrections.
    > >> For example code39 is prefixed and suffixed with symbol '*'

    > >> So Order number 345 in code#9 notation will be *39*. Then Barcode reader
    > >> will automatically recognize it and enter into computer as if you punched
    > >> keys 3 and 9 on a keyboard and hit enter (that behavior is configurable
    > >> in a
    > >> reader)

    > >> To Read barcode you need a scanner similar to those you can see in a
    > >> store.

    > >> George.

    > >> "Tod Birdsall, MCSD for .NET" <> wrote in
    > >> messagenews:...

    > > Hi,

    > > I should have been more specific. The user will print a document
    > > containing the dynamically generated barcode. After filling out the
    > > document by hand, the user will fax the document back to me. I will
    > > receive it as a tiff file. I would like my app to read the barcode off
    > > the tiff file and handle the document accordingly.

    > > Thanks.

    > > Tod Birdsall
    > > software blog:http://tod1d.net

    Hi George,

    Thanks for the response. I will continue to research a possible
    solution.

    Tod Birdsall, MCSD for .NET, Feb 8, 2007