Generating core documentation

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Stefano Crocco, Mar 16, 2008.

  1. =46ollowing the discussion about the problems of the documentation for ruby=
    core=20
    available on www.ruby-doc.org, I've tried to understand exactly which of th=
    e=20
    files in the ruby source distribution contain classes/methods of the core.=
    =20
    =46rom my investigation, these files are:

    numeric.c
    gc.c
    io.c
    re.c
    range.c
    variable.c
    dir.c
    signal.c
    marshal.c
    error.c
    compar.c
    enum.c
    file.c
    eval.c
    random.c
    hash.c
    math.c
    pack.c
    prec.c
    time.c
    process.c
    object.c
    sprintf.c
    parse.y
    array.c
    version.c
    string.c
    bignum.c
    struct.c
    class.c

    NOTE: the methods I used to select the files which belong to the core from=
    =20
    those which don't are *extremely* naive, so there can be some missing or ex=
    tra=20
    files (in particular, the following files may be missing: dln.c, dmydln.c,=
    =20
    dmyext.c, inits.c, lex.c, main.c, parse.c, regex.c, ruby.c, st.c, util.c. I=
    =20
    looked at them, but they didn't seem to contain ruby classes or methods, an=
    d=20
    no class in the generated documentation pointed to them, so I decided to=20
    remove them).=20

    To get the documentation for only the core of ruby, download the ruby sourc=
    e=20
    from http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/downloads/, extract it and run rdoc on the=
    =20
    files mentioned above (they're only in the toplevel directory).

    Stefano
    Stefano Crocco, Mar 16, 2008