Generating custom Windows installers

cesar.covarrubias

Hello,

I am working on creating an installer of a Python 3.2 application that we programmed. The end goal is to create an installer in which we can specify the install path, and create shortcuts in the Start Menu and Desktop. Ideally, we would like to give the users the option to create the Desktop or Start Menu shortcuts.

I was able to create a .msi file with the setup.py and install.py files below. This allowed me to specify the custom default path but not create the shortcut in the Start Menu.

Can anyone help me figure out what I'm missing?

setup.py
--------

from cx_Freeze import setup, Executable
import sys

productName = "ProductName"
if 'bdist_msi' in sys.argv:
sys.argv += ['--initial-target-dir', 'C:\InstallDir\\' + productName]
sys.argv += ['--install-script', 'install.py']

exe = Executable(
script="main.py",
base="Win32GUI",
targetName="Product.exe"
)
setup(
name="Product.exe",
version="1.0",
author="Me",
description="Copyright 2012",
executables=[exe],
scripts=[
'install.py'
]
)

install.py
----------
import os
import sys
import win32com.client as w32client

shortcut_group_name = "Start Menu Dir"
shortcut_name = "Product Name"
shortcut_target = "http://www.microsoft.com"

sh = w32client.Dispatch("WScript.Shell")
p = sh.SpecialFolders("AllUsersPrograms")
assert(os.path.isdir(p))
p = os.path.join(p, shortcut_group_name)
if (not os.path.isdir(p)):
os.makedirs(p)
lnk = sh.CreateShortcut(os.path.join(p, shortcut_name + ".lnk"))
lnk.TargetPath = shortcut_target
lnk.Save()