Generating multi-part HTML with XSL?

Peter Caspers

Hi,

I have an XML-file out of which I generate a HTML-file with an XSL. It
seems that it is only possible to generate one single HTML-file and
not multiple files e.g. in order to distribute different chapters of a
book in their own *.html - files. Is that true or is there some way to
do that?

Thanks in advance! P.Caspers

Johannes Koch

Peter said:
Hi,

I have an XML-file out of which I generate a HTML-file with an XSL. It
seems that it is only possible to generate one single HTML-file and
not multiple files e.g. in order to distribute different chapters of a
book in their own *.html - files. Is that true

That is true for XSLT 1.0. It will probably change with XSLT 2.0
or is there some way to
do that?

Some XSLT engines (e.g. Saxon, Xalan) have an extension mechanism to do
what you want. Have a look at your XSLT engine's documentation.

Dimitre Novatchev

Peter Caspers said:
Hi,

I have an XML-file out of which I generate a HTML-file with an XSL. It
seems that it is only possible to generate one single HTML-file and
not multiple files e.g. in order to distribute different chapters of a
book in their own *.html - files. Is that true or is there some way to
do that?

Read about the exsl:document extension element and use it with an XSLT
processor, which implements this.

http://www.exslt.org/exsl/elements/document/index.html

AFAIK Saxon, libxslt and .Net EXSLT implement exsl:document (the .Net
implementation by Oleg Tkachenko requires XHTML output instead of HTML).

=====
Cheers,

Dimitre Novatchev.