Generating PDF file in Python

Ed Keith

I need to generate PDF files and I'm exploring what tools to use. I was planing on using ReportLab, but recently found some references to pango (http://www.pango.org/) and ciaro (http://cairographics.org/) being able to generate PDF files. But am having difficulty finding details.

The program must be cross platform, it needs to run on both windows and Mac and might need to run on Linux in the future. It needs to generate both reports and tables and I would like to make the layout as user configurable as practical.

Can pango - ciaro do this. How do they compare to ReportLab? Are there other options I have overlooked?

-EdK

Ed Keith
(e-mail address removed)

Blog: edkeith.blogspot.com

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

I need to generate PDF files and I'm exploring what tools to use. I was
planing on using ReportLab, but recently found some references to pango
(http://www.pango.org/) and ciaro (http://cairographics.org/) being able
to generate PDF files. But am having difficulty finding details.

Pango is just a text-layout engine. It doesn’t provide its own rendering
facilities; it relies on graphics APIs like Cairo for that.

For Cairo, just render to a PDF surface
Are there other options I have overlooked?

How about Poppler?

David Boddie

Ed Keith said:
I need to generate PDF files and I'm exploring what tools to use. I was
planing on using ReportLab, but recently found some references to pango
(http://www.pango.org/) and ciaro (http://cairographics.org/) being able
to generate PDF files. But am having difficulty finding details.
[...]
Are there other options I have overlooked?

How about Poppler?

Poppler is first and foremost a rendering library, not a PDF generator,
though it's very good at what it does:

http://poppler.freedesktop.org/

David