Generating test data from an XML Schema

Jonathan Fine

Hello

I want to generate test data from an XML schema. I've had a quick look
at existing tools (such as minixsv and amara) but from what I've seen
they don't seem to help.

It is of course easy to extract all the element names from a schema, but
I want more than that.

Motivation: I wish to create a subset of TeX/LaTeX that can be easily
translated into XML that validates against an existing schema. I also
want the input TeX to be fairly easy to author (so a simple mechanical
translation will not work).

A tool that provides a nice Python interface to navigating the schema
would probably be quite helpful.

Has anyone seen anything that might help generate test data from a schema?

Mark Thomas

Hello

I want to generate test data from an XML schema.  I've had a quick look
at existing tools (such as minixsv and amara) but from what I've seen
they don't seem to help. ....
A tool that provides a nice Python interface to navigating the schema
would probably be quite helpful.

Has anyone seen anything that might help generate test data from a schema?

I'm unaware of anything in Python, but Eclipse can generate sample
documents from a schema:
http://help.eclipse.org/help32/inde....wst.xmleditor..doc.user/topics/tcrexxsd.html

As can XML IDEs such as Stylus Studio and XML Spy.

-- Mark.

Jonathan Fine

Mark said:
I'm unaware of anything in Python, but Eclipse can generate sample
documents from a schema:
http://help.eclipse.org/help32/inde...e.wst.xmleditor.doc.user/topics/tcrexxsd.html

As can XML IDEs such as Stylus Studio and XML Spy.

Mark - thank you for this. The problem is that I'd like to sit quite
close to the schema and manipulate the generation of the test data.
(This is because a straight representation won't suit my needs.)

However, if I get the chance I'll look at these tools, in case they can
help me. Thank you for the suggestion.