Generating word document on the fly with charts

mahesh.nimbalkar

Hi All,

I want to generate word document on the fly. I do not have office
installed on server so I would like to create word document using XML
and send that XML as word document to client.

Also, I want to include charts in that document. Please let me know or
point me to some references to achieve this.

Thanks,
Mahesh

Mark Rae [MVP]

I want to generate word document on the fly. I do not have office
installed on server so I would like to create word document using XML
and send that XML as word document to client.

Also, I want to include charts in that document. Please let me know or
point me to some references to achieve this.

You have two options here:

1) Use OpenXML
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...52-3547-420A-A412-00A2662442D9&displaylang=en
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/aa338205.aspx

However, this is most definitely not for the faint-hearted - but it's
free...

2) Use Aspose
http://www.aspose.com/Products/Aspose.Words/Default.aspx

This is extremely easy to use, but it's not free...

Guest

If you are developing a WinForms App:

you can use Automation or VSTO.

If you have to develop an ASP .net App:
Which version of Ms Word you have to support?

If it's 2007 take a look to Open XML.

If not, as Steve said, Office Writer will give you a good solution

http://officewriter.softartisans.com/

Take a look at this demo (generating Word + Image):

http://demo.softartisans.com/OfficeWriter/realestatelistings/realestate.aspx

/// ------------------------------
/// Braulio Diez
///
/// http://www.tipsdotnet.com
/// ------------------------------

mahesh.nimbalkar

Hi,

I do not think any third party component will allow client to edit the
chart embeded in document. It does allow inserting image instead. But
I need to insert chart which can be edited at client side.

So the only option remaning is WordML (is it also called as open
office XML?). Please let me know if any other option is available.

Thanks,
Mahesh

mahesh.nimbalkar

Further update...

I am able to generate chart using WordML with hard coded values. This
chart can be edited at client side. The real challenge now is
positioning the chart components at right place i.e. bar position, its
X and Y coordinate and so on.. which is tricky.
If it's 2007 take a look to Open XML.
I am supposed to support office 2003 or higher.

Thanks

Martin CLAVREUIL

Hi,

In XML for office 2003, charts and any kind of OLE object are serialized
as a base 64 (binary) description. My advice would be (if these charts
don't have to be updated) to include them as images. You can do it by
installing office web components on the server or any kind of similar
product (.net chats [...]).

Any example of creating chart though WordML?

Thanks