Generating XML fragment to DOM node using XSL

Steve Dussinger

Hi All:

I am attempting to use an XSL stylesheet to take data from an existing
DOM document, and place it into a different existing DOM document.

The problem I'm having is that I get the following exception from
Xalan-J (version 2.5.2), because I am not generating a single root
node from my stylesheet:

"Can't have more than one root on a DOM!"

Now I understand that I can't create more than one root node on a DOM
document, but since I'm generating these nodes into an already
existing document, I assumed that this would not be an issue. I can
generate a single rot node as part of my transform, and all works
fine, but the resulting data as placed into my destination document is
screwed due to the addition of a new node.

Is there some switch setting or something that I need to use to make
this work? I'm fervently hoping that this is not something that "just
can't be done using XSLT", and that I've just missed something in the
docs...

Any help greatly appreciated...

Thanx,
Steve Dussinger

GIMME

If you're interested in a JDOM solution, let me know.

There's no point of my cooking up a solution if it is of no interest to you.

Steve Dussinger

If you're interested in a JDOM solution, let me know.

There's no point of my cooking up a solution if it is of no interest to you.

Thanx for the interest, but I *really* need to be able to do this with XSLT...

Thanx anyway.

--Steve

GIMME

I'm puzzled by what you mean when you say you need use XSLT.

Do you mean that you need a command line solution and that
you can't write a JAVA program to do the work?

XSLT transforms are easy with JDOM.

With JDOM you can go back and forth between JDOM
Documents and W3C Documents with one method call.

Go to http://www.jdom.org/docs/apidocs/index.html and look
at DOMBuilder and DOMOutputter. Look at JDOMResult if you
want to see how to do a transform.

If you want an example where I :

1. read an xslt file,
2. read an xml
3. read an xml
4. Do a transform on one and two.
5. Combine the result with 3.
6. Return a single org.w3c.dom.Document

let me know. That's what you wanted. Right?