Generating XML fragment to DOM node using XSL

Discussion in 'XML' started by Steve Dussinger, Dec 11, 2003.

  1. Hi All:

    I am attempting to use an XSL stylesheet to take data from an existing
    DOM document, and place it into a different existing DOM document.

    The problem I'm having is that I get the following exception from
    Xalan-J (version 2.5.2), because I am not generating a single root
    node from my stylesheet:

    "Can't have more than one root on a DOM!"

    Now I understand that I can't create more than one root node on a DOM
    document, but since I'm generating these nodes into an already
    existing document, I assumed that this would not be an issue. I can
    generate a single rot node as part of my transform, and all works
    fine, but the resulting data as placed into my destination document is
    screwed due to the addition of a new node.

    Is there some switch setting or something that I need to use to make
    this work? I'm fervently hoping that this is not something that "just
    can't be done using XSLT", and that I've just missed something in the
    docs...

    Any help greatly appreciated...

    Thanx,
    Steve Dussinger
    Steve Dussinger, Dec 11, 2003

  2. Steve Dussinger

    GIMME Guest

    If you're interested in a JDOM solution, let me know.

    There's no point of my cooking up a solution if it is of no interest to you.
    GIMME, Dec 15, 2003

  3. (GIMME) wrote in message news:<>...
    > If you're interested in a JDOM solution, let me know.
    >
    > There's no point of my cooking up a solution if it is of no interest to you.

    Thanx for the interest, but I *really* need to be able to do this with XSLT...

    Thanx anyway.

    --Steve
    Steve Dussinger, Dec 15, 2003
  4. Steve Dussinger

    GIMME Guest

    I'm puzzled by what you mean when you say you need use XSLT.

    Do you mean that you need a command line solution and that
    you can't write a JAVA program to do the work?

    XSLT transforms are easy with JDOM.

    With JDOM you can go back and forth between JDOM
    Documents and W3C Documents with one method call.

    Go to http://www.jdom.org/docs/apidocs/index.html and look
    at DOMBuilder and DOMOutputter. Look at JDOMResult if you
    want to see how to do a transform.

    If you want an example where I :

    1. read an xslt file,
    2. read an xml
    3. read an xml
    4. Do a transform on one and two.
    5. Combine the result with 3.
    6. Return a single org.w3c.dom.Document

    let me know. That's what you wanted. Right?

    GIMME, Dec 16, 2003