Generating XML Schemas from RDF

Discussion in 'XML' started by Richard Smith, Apr 4, 2013.

  1. I have a data model that's currently defined using RDF components across
    a number of separate XML namespaces, some of which are created by
    third-party. I'd like to serialise this data model into XML. I had
    initially planned to use the standard RDF/XML serialisation, but there
    are political reason why that isn't acceptable. Basically, enough key
    people in the project think the RDF/XML serialisation is too ugly,
    verbose, and overuses namespaces. I don't agree with that view,
    although I do have some sympathy for it. So what I'm now proposing is
    to produce my own XML format, defined using XML Schema, and with a GRDDL
    transformation linked from the schema so that users who need RDF can
    convert it to RDF/XML.

    But now I effectively have three definitions of the data model: one in
    distributed in various RDF schemas and OWL ontologies, one in my XML
    schema, and one implicit in the XSLT I will have written for the GRDDL
    transformation. I anticipate my data model evolving quite rapidly as
    new RDF components are pulled in, and as I change my mind out the ones
    currently there. It therefore seems highly likely that the three
    versions will get out of sync. And in any case, it just seems wrong to
    have it in three places.

    It seems to me that all I really should need is a list of the RDF
    classes and predicates I'm using in my data model, a bit of policy on
    what my XML format should look like, and then use these to generate the
    GDDRL XSLT and the XML schema automatically. I can't believe I'm the
    first person to think of this, but equally I an internet search doesn't
    turn anything up. Is anyone aware of a technology that does this?

    Richard
    Richard Smith, Apr 4, 2013