Generic/Adoptive User Interface Design

Stewart Rogers

Hi all,

I have been working on an ASP.NET application that is a kind of wizard ( a
list of sequential pages ). We built that application for the CLIENT-A and it
worked fine. After six months CLIENT-B came along and and requested the same
application but with little bit different requirements (both in terms of the
front-end and back-end processing), so we had to create a new application for
that client. Now came CLIENT-C !!!!!!

I am not into the favor of creating one more application for this client and
have been thinking about creating one generic application that will fit most
of our clients needs; I mean the application has to change the behavior based
on the client for which it has been called.

For example, CLIENT-A requires all pages to be shown in a sequence (Page1,
Page2, Page3, Last Page). CLIENT-B does not want to show Page1, rather they
want to show Page2, and the Last Page. CLIENT-C wants to show all of the
pages in the same sequence but has less data entry fields on some of the
forms!!!

Now is there a way I can implement/architect/design a generic/semi-generic
application that would change its behavior based on the client for which it
has been invoked for? any design pattern that would do the trick for this
kind of application? any insights?

Thanks in advance.

Stewart