Generic DataBind and ItemTemplate

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Datagrid Control' started by Jonas, Oct 9, 2003.

  1. Jonas

    Jonas Guest

    Hi !

    The DataGrid seems to be very good at presenting data in a convenient
    way.
    It accepts anything that supports a interface and that gives me
    opportunity to provide my own datasource, something I really like !

    Though, when it comes to updating my datasource with values from the
    datagrid it becomes a bit more difficult.

    The DataGrid doesn't (according to my opinion) provide a resonable
    support for getting value from the cells to the datasource.
    I therefore made my own DataGrid in order to simplify transport of
    data from the grid to my datasource.

    It worked out just fine until I had to convert a column into a
    <ItemTemplate>.
    My implementation of the *generic* transport of data from the datagrid
    to my datasource depends on the DataField attribute, which I can
    obtain from a ordinal BoundColumn but not from a TemplateColumn (as
    far as I know).

    If I have misunderstoud something about templatecolumns, please let me
    know how to obtain a templatecolumn's DataField.

    If it so *bad* as I think it, has any of you talented people made a
    DataGrid that in a generic way handles transport of data from the grid
    to your own datasource ?

    I really would appreciate some guidance.....

    TIA

    // Jonas
    Jonas, Oct 9, 2003