Generic profilers?

ssylee

Inspired from the responses to my question at
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.c/browse_thread/thread/ac93b1b00269ef3d?q=#0a33195600597ac9
, I'm wondering if the profiler would be dependent on how I'm building
and running the application, as well as the operating system. I'm
running the C/C++ file to be generated as a mex file, used by m-file
in Matlab. However, I'm not sure if there are any generic profiler
libraries where I can just insert profiler function calls between the
function execution that I want to test out. It would be great for some
feedback. I'm not sure if I have asked my question in the wrong place.

Ian Collins

ssylee said:
Inspired from the responses to my question at
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.c/browse_thread/thread/ac93b1b00269ef3d?q=#0a33195600597ac9
, I'm wondering if the profiler would be dependent on how I'm building
and running the application, as well as the operating system. I'm
running the C/C++ file to be generated as a mex file, used by m-file
in Matlab. However, I'm not sure if there are any generic profiler
libraries where I can just insert profiler function calls between the
function execution that I want to test out. It would be great for some
feedback. I'm not sure if I have asked my question in the wrong place.

Profilers are compiler/platform specific. Some platforms require you to
build with profiling enabled, others do not.

Bill Cunningham

ssylee said:
Inspired from the responses to my question at
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.c/browse_thread/thread/ac93b1b00269ef3d?q=#0a33195600597ac9
, I'm wondering if the profiler would be dependent on how I'm building
and running the application, as well as the operating system. I'm
running the C/C++ file to be generated as a mex file, used by m-file
in Matlab. However, I'm not sure if there are any generic profiler
libraries where I can just insert profiler function calls between the
function execution that I want to test out. It would be great for some
feedback. I'm not sure if I have asked my question in the wrong place.

Hi ssylee. I think comp.compilers is the group you want.

Bill