generic ROM memory help

Zorjak

Hi. I am trying to write generic VHDL code of ROM (read only memory).
Values that shoud be writen in the memory need to be determined before
compilation (from some file). I am working with Altera QuartusII
software and I have seen there that Some mif or hex files were used for

rom and ram initialization. How do I write VHDL code which will read
that kind of file and its values write in ROM. Can anyone help me

Thanks

Ralf Hildebrandt

Zorjak said:
Hi. I am trying to write generic VHDL code of ROM (read only memory).
Values that shoud be writen in the memory need to be determined before
compilation (from some file). I am working with Altera QuartusII
software and I have seen there that Some mif or hex files were used for

rom and ram initialization. How do I write VHDL code which will read
that kind of file and its values write in ROM. Can anyone help me

Look into to manual!

ROM and RAM are provided as configurable components, that can be
instanced within your design. Generic parameters allow to choose the bit
width, address width, if inputs or outputs have to be registered and
finally an initialisiation file for the contents.

Ralf