    and have the private key embedded in the software itself?

    TIA
    Harry
    Harry Simpson, Feb 9, 2004

  2. Harry Simpson

    Ken Schaefer Guest

    As I understand your request, the answer is:

    Um no.

    A Server Certificate needs to have the name of the server embedded in it.
    Otherwise the user gets an error saying that the SSL certificate's name does
    not match the name of the server they are connecting to. (one of the
    purposes of an SSL cert is to certify that you are actually connected to
    www.amazon.com not some impersonator who's managed to poison the DNS to
    redirect requests to their rogue site).

    Cheers
    Ken

    "Harry Simpson" <> wrote in message
    : Company A has a web app product. They sell it to 10 other companies and
    : wish several of the pages to be secure. Once the product is placed on
    these
    : client's servers, how can the certificate be attached to the software
    : instead of to the client's servers. I realize that the client server will
    : at least have to have SSL turned on but is there a way for Company A to
    have
    : one certificate and basically sell the "use" of the cert with the public
    key
    : and have the private key embedded in the software itself?
    :
    : TIA
    : Harry
    :