generics depending on generics

Discussion in 'VHDL' started by Soul, Feb 2, 2009.

  1. Soul

    Soul

    Joined:
    Feb 2, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    Hi everyone

    I have a question or maybe it's better to say: I got a problem.

    I got a top-level entity with this generics:

    length of bitstream, e.g. = 3
    number of elements, e.g. = 4
    data array , e.g. 000, 001, 110, 111

    As you can see, the array's length and number of elements depend on the other generics. At top-level it is no problem, because you would write it down there. But I need to communicate this information to a lower entity... how can I do that ? I figured out, how to use an array type für the generic list, but this type now also depends on a generic.

    Also at the lower-level entity I would need to write something like this :

    signal <= '1' when inp = "000" or inp = "001" etc...

    At this line I also have no clou how to write that with generics ;)

    Thanks for any help

    lg soul
    Soul, Feb 2, 2009