    Tiger's sources contain lots of generics like <E> but there's no class E
    defined. What are those generics about?

    Timo

    Timo Nentwig, May 30, 2004

  2. Timo Nentwig

    Roedy Green Guest

    see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/generics.html

    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

    Roedy Green, May 30, 2004

  3. Timo Nentwig

    Chris Smith Guest

    Timo Nentwig wrote:
    > Tiger's sources contain lots of generics like <E> but there's no class E
    > defined. What are those generics about?

    Looks to me like those are parameterized type names; they fill in for
    the real generic type parameters, so they aren't supposed to be existing
    classes.

    Just a guess.

    --
    www.designacourse.com

    MindIQ Corporation

    Chris Smith, May 30, 2004
  4. http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5/pdf/ generics-tutorial.pdf

    David

    David Rabinowitz, May 30, 2004
  5. Timo Nentwig

    Guest

    Timo Nentwig wrote:
    > Hi!
    >
    > Tiger's sources contain lots of generics like <E> but there's no class E
    > defined. What are those generics about?
    >
    > Timo

    Peace be unto you.
    Just a naming convention (a nomenclature, if you like)
    for the formal type parameters.
    E is for element
    K is for keys
    ....S is for cases where T is used
    T is for type variables
    U... is for cases where T is used
    V is for values
    ? is for unknown type
    & is for multiple bounds

    Have a good day.

    -- References (pdf)
    Gilad Bracha covers the use of
    generics in j2se 1.5 (Tiger, if you like)
    http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5/pdf/generics-tutorial.pdf

    , Jun 6, 2004