Geo tagging EXIF data?

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Tuxedo, Apr 14, 2014.

  1. Tuxedo

    Tuxedo Guest

    Hello,

    I'm in search of a fairly lightweight GPS device to carry around and use in
    combination with a Sony NEX camera.

    Are there are some command line Perl utilities that append geo-coordinates
    onto Exif data of a set of images?

    I've not used any GPS device before but I imagine the device would collect
    GPS data once a minute or every few seconds. The data should thereafter
    easily be exported into some standard format and merged with a collection
    Jpegs in a directory where a 'merge' command can run.

    I imagine it could be done by synchronizing the time settings of the camera
    and the GPS device and after having saved a collection of Jpegs and GPS
    data in a directory, running the procedure against the two data sets would
    write the closest by-time geo-coordinate into an Exif field of each Jpeg.

    Can anyone recommend some perl applications or modules for this?

    Many thanks,
    Tuxedo

    PS: I would like to avoid any Windows-only applications or other
    proprietary GUI solutions etc. Also, any recommendations on actual GPS
    hardware would be much appreciated.

    Tuxedo, Apr 14, 2014

  2. Tuxedo

    John Bokma Guest

    Tuxedo <> writes:

    > I've not used any GPS device before but I imagine the device would collect
    > GPS data once a minute or every few seconds. The data should thereafter
    > easily be exported into some standard format and merged with a collection
    > Jpegs in a directory where a 'merge' command can run.

    Exporting it do a standard format can be done with GPSBabel:
    http://www.gpsbabel.org/

    > I imagine it could be done by synchronizing the time settings of the camera
    > and the GPS device and after having saved a collection of Jpegs and GPS
    > data in a directory, running the procedure against the two data sets would
    > write the closest by-time geo-coordinate into an Exif field of each
    > Jpeg.

    It seems that GPSBabel can do that as well:
    http://www.gpsbabel.org/htmldoc-1.5.0/fmt_exif.html

    [..]
    > PS: I would like to avoid any Windows-only applications or other
    > proprietary GUI solutions etc. Also, any recommendations on actual GPS
    > hardware would be much appreciated.

    GPSBabel is open source and runs from the command line. No idea if there
    is a Perl solution.

    --
    John Bokma j3b

    Blog: http://johnbokma.com/ Perl Consultancy: http://castleamber.com/
    Perl for books: http://johnbokma.com/perl/help-in-exchange-for-books.html

    John Bokma, Apr 14, 2014

  3. Tuxedo

    Jim Gibson Guest

    In article <ligohh$c5k$>, Tuxedo
    <> wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I'm in search of a fairly lightweight GPS device to carry around and use in
    > combination with a Sony NEX camera.
    >
    > Are there are some command line Perl utilities that append geo-coordinates
    > onto Exif data of a set of images?

    You can check out this Perl-based one:

    <http://www.carto.net/projects/photoTools/gpsPhoto/>

    I have not tried it.

    > I've not used any GPS device before but I imagine the device would collect
    > GPS data once a minute or every few seconds. The data should thereafter
    > easily be exported into some standard format and merged with a collection
    > Jpegs in a directory where a 'merge' command can run.

    Devices differ on when and where they save "track" points (as opposed
    to "waypoints" and "routes"). Some can be configured to record points
    at time or distance intervals. Formats also vary widely, but most
    devices support the standard GPX format. As John mentioned, GPSBabel
    can translate many different formats into GPX, and also extract the
    track logs from the device.

    > I imagine it could be done by synchronizing the time settings of the camera
    > and the GPS device and after having saved a collection of Jpegs and GPS
    > data in a directory, running the procedure against the two data sets would
    > write the closest by-time geo-coordinate into an Exif field of each Jpeg.
    >
    > Can anyone recommend some perl applications or modules for this?
    >
    > Many thanks,
    > Tuxedo
    >
    > PS: I would like to avoid any Windows-only applications or other
    > proprietary GUI solutions etc. Also, any recommendations on actual GPS
    > hardware would be much appreciated.

    I just bought the Holux M-241 device and tried it out over the weekend:

    <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Holux_M-241>

    Finding an application to extract the track logs proved to be
    difficult. The only thing I have gotten to work so far is BT747, a Java
    program: <http://www.bt747.com>

    mtkbabel is a Perl program that is supposed to be able to extract track
    logs from some GPS devices, including the Holux M-241, but it did not
    work on the first try, I think because the device name was incorrect. I
    haven't had a chance to try it again:

    <http://sourceforge.net/projects/mtkbabel/>

    --
    Jim Gibson