Geocities - How can I suppress the banner?

Michael

How can I identify the Table that the Geocities banner is in?
I tried

document.all.tags("table")[0].style.display = 'none'

no matter what number I used nothing worked.

Using CSS script

TABLE {display:none}

This works, but then I have to go to each table seperately and set the
display to block

I would like to be able to directly identify the table the banner is
in, so I can disable only the 1 table.

Lee

(e-mail address removed) said:
How can I identify the Table that the Geocities banner is in?
I tried

document.all.tags("table")[0].style.display = 'none'

Since you have no ethics, you could wait outside a grocery store
for somebody to come out with their hands full of bags and their
wallet or purse in plain sight. Steal it, and use the money to
pay for web hosting.

Arve Bersvendsen

Michael wrote in
How can I identify the Table that the Geocities banner is in?

Why not find a web host that doesn't add banner ads instead of
breaking your user agreement with Geocities?

kaeli

mdh_2972 said:
Using CSS script

TABLE {display:none}

This works, but then I have to go to each table seperately and set the
display to block

No you don't. Class your tables.
TABLE.mine {display:block}

~kaeli~
Found God? If nobody claims Him in 30 days,
He's yours to keep.
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any
more than standing in a garage makes you a car.
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace

Els

"kaeli" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht

--
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any
more than standing in a garage makes you a car.

or reading and posting in this group makes you a script.

(sorry, just had to react. won't do it again ;-)

Michael

Lee said:
(e-mail address removed) said:

Since you have no ethics, you could wait outside a grocery store
for somebody to come out with their hands full of bags and their
wallet or purse in plain sight. Steal it, and use the money to
pay for web hosting.

I dont appreciate your smart ass answer. Is it a federal crime or
something? I would never rob a bank or store. Many people use add
blockers, it is not illegal
or anything.

I admit I was stupid to post the message in the first place.

Lee

(e-mail address removed) said:
I dont appreciate your smart ass answer. Is it a federal crime or
something? I would never rob a bank or store. Many people use add
blockers, it is not illegal
or anything.

It's a violation of your contract with Geocities.

Grant Wagner

Michael said:
I dont appreciate your smart ass answer. Is it a federal crime or
something? I would never rob a bank or store. Many people use add
blockers, it is not illegal
or anything.

I admit I was stupid to post the message in the first place.

Blocking popups from appearing on my browser on my computer is not a crime, nor is it a
violation of any Terms of Service, with my ISP or with Geocities.

However, stopping Geocities from generating popups you agreed to allow them to generate
on your free web space is a violation of the Terms of Service you agreed to when you
signed up with them. At the least they could terminate your account for doing it, at
worst they could sue you for the lost revenues.

<url: http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/geoterms.html />

13. ADVERTISEMENTS AND PROMOTIONS
Yahoo runs advertisements and promotions on Yahoo GeoCities Sites. By creating your Yahoo
GeoCities Site, you agree that Yahoo has the right to run such advertisements and
promotions. The manner, mode and extent of advertising by Yahoo on your Yahoo GeoCities
Site is subject to change.

22. GENERAL INFORMATION
....The TOS and the relationship between you and Yahoo shall be governed by the laws of
the State of California without regard to its conflict of law provisions. You and Yahoo
agree to submit to the personal and exclusive jurisdiction of the courts located within
the county of Santa Clara, California. The failure of Yahoo to exercise or enforce any
right or provision of the TOS shall not constitute a waiver of such right or provision...

While it's /extremely/ unlikely that Geocities/Yahoo would sue you, it is well within
their rights to do so under the ToS you agreed to.

--
| Grant Wagner <[email protected]>

* http://devedge.netscape.com/library/manuals/2000/javascript/1.3/reference/frames.html
* http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/author/dhtml/reference/dhtml_reference_entry.asp
* Tips for upgrading JavaScript for Netscape 6/7 and Mozilla

Richard Cornford

13. ADVERTISEMENTS AND PROMOTIONS
Yahoo runs advertisements and promotions on Yahoo
GeoCities Sites. By creating your Yahoo GeoCities Site,
you agree that Yahoo has the right to run such
advertisements and promotions. The manner, mode and
extent of advertising by Yahoo on your Yahoo GeoCities
Site is subject to change.
<snip>

While the agreement excludes the site from actively preventing the
display of the adverts, it does not appear to prevent the site from
promoting advert blocking techniques or technologies to the user.
Perhaps the solution is to locate a free add-blocker that can handle
GeoCites adds, recommend it and link to a download.

Or maybe explain to a user how to set up their own advert-blocking user
StyleSheet. This one, for example, will not display any images that are
of the standard sizes used by advertisers:-

*[width="468"], *[width="468px"],
*[height="336"][width="280"], *[height="336px"][width="280px"],
*[height="300"][width="250"], *[height="300px"][width="250px"],
*[height="250"][width="250"], *[height="250px"][width="250px"],
*[height="400"][width="240"], *[height="400px"][width="240px"],
*[height="120"][width="240"], *[height="120px"][width="240px"],
*[height="60"][width="234"], *[height="60px"][width="234px"],
*[height="150"][width="180"], *[height="150px"][width="180px"],
*[height="600"][width="160"], *[height="600px"][width="160px"],
*[height="125"][width="125"], *[height="125px"][width="125px"],
*[height="600"][width="120"], *[height="600px"][width="120px"],
*[height="90"][width="120"], *[height="90px"][width="120px"],
*[height="60"][width="120"], *[height="60px"][width="120px"],
*[height="31"][width="88"], *[height="31px"][width="88px"]
{display: none !important;}

It's CSS selectors are not supported by many browses but Opera 7 can
cope with this.

(probably still a good idea to read the rest of the agreement to check
that it would not exclude this option).

Richard.

cwdjr

As several have noted, defeating ads is a TOS violation for free
accounts at Geocities(also at Tripod and Angelfire). Some of these
services have slightly different policies outside of the US, but I
doubt if any allow you to defeat their ads on a free account. These
all will remove the ads and add additional perks if you pay them a few
dollars a month. Rather than use any of the mentioned ones, I use a
small mom and pop host. They have their servers in a secure web hub
facility in Dallas that has 24 hour attention. I pay about US $5. a
month on an annual basis for 60M. They have a good file manager and
most things you need for a private site. I gladly pay for this rather
than put up with the huge pop up and banner ads on the free sites. Of
course if one can not afford this, then I can see that the ads can
annoy. However, someone has to pay for the service if the host is to
stay in business.It is no secret that hackers have found ways to
defeat the ads at the mentioned hosts, and then the hosts change
things to defeat the hack. The hackers then come up with a new hack,
and so on. However if you start posting in hacker NGs, you should not
be surprised if someone decides that your site or comuputer might be
fun to hack!