    Can anyone give me an opinion on Geocities web hosting. I'm looking for a
    web host for a personal web site based in the US

    Thanks

    Keith, Dec 21, 2004

  2. Keith

    Els Guest

    Keith wrote:

    > Can anyone give me an opinion on Geocities web hosting. I'm
    > looking for a web host for a personal web site based in the
    > US

    As far as I know Geocities make your site have ugly ads on them.
    If you don't need PHP and other special stuff, go for the free
    version on affordablehost.com. No ads.

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/
    - Renato Russo -

    Els, Dec 21, 2004

  3. Keith

    Keith Guest

    Thanks, I'm willing to pay not to get the ads.

    Keith, Dec 21, 2004
  4. Keith

    Els Guest

    Keith wrote:

    >>> Can anyone give me an opinion on Geocities web hosting.
    >>> I'm looking for a web host for a personal web site based
    >>> in the US

    >> As far as I know Geocities make your site have ugly ads on
    >> them. If you don't need PHP and other special stuff, go
    >> for the free version on affordablehost.com. No ads.

    > Thanks, I'm willing to pay not to get the ads.

    If you really want to pay, get the not-free version ;-)

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/
    - Renato Russo -

    Els, Dec 21, 2004
  5. On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 10:24:34 -0500, "Keith" <>
    wrote:

    >Thanks, I'm willing to pay not to get the ads.

    I use Affordable Host for the 2 sites I run as a hobby:

    <http://www.affordablehost.com/>

    Nick

    --
    Nick Theodorakis

    contact form:
    http://theodorakis.net/contact.html

    Nick Theodorakis, Dec 21, 2004
  6. "Nick Theodorakis" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 10:24:34 -0500, "Keith" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Thanks, I'm willing to pay not to get the ads.

    > I use Affordable Host for the 2 sites I run as a hobby:
    >
    > <http://www.affordablehost.com/>

    Thanks Nick. Also, new orders can feel free to use the 20% newsgroup
    discount code below.

    --Tina
    --
    http://www.AffordableHOST.com - Multi-Domain & Reseller Cpanel Hosting
    ++ 20% Discount Coupon Code ++: newsgroup

    Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc., Dec 21, 2004
  7. Keith

    Duende Guest

    Duende, Dec 21, 2004
  8. Keith

    Richard Guest

    Els wrote:

    > Keith wrote:

    >> Can anyone give me an opinion on Geocities web hosting. I'm
    >> looking for a web host for a personal web site based in the
    >> US

    > As far as I know Geocities make your site have ugly ads on them.
    > If you don't need PHP and other special stuff, go for the free
    > version on affordablehost.com. No ads.

    They do host sites as any other hosts do.
    But for $8.95/month and only 25mb, one can do much better elsewhere.

    Richard, Dec 21, 2004
  9. Keith

    Lloyd Guest

    "Keith" <> wrote in message
    > Can anyone give me an opinion on Geocities web hosting. I'm looking for a
    > web host for a personal web site based in the US
    >
    > Thanks

    dot5hosting is $5/mo, has all the bells and whistles, huge storage, cannot
    beat it.
    Lloyd

    Lloyd, Dec 21, 2004
  10. Keith

    Els Guest

    Richard wrote:

    > Els wrote:
    >
    >> Keith wrote:

    >>> Can anyone give me an opinion on Geocities web hosting.
    >>> I'm looking for a web host for a personal web site based
    >>> in the US

    >> As far as I know Geocities make your site have ugly ads on
    >> them. If you don't need PHP and other special stuff, go
    >> for the free version on affordablehost.com. No ads.

    > They do host sites as any other hosts do.
    > But for $8.95/month and only 25mb, one can do much better
    > elsewhere.

    That's /not/ affordablehost you're talking about.

    --
    Els
    http://locusmeus.com/

    Els, Dec 21, 2004
  11. Keith

    Neal Guest

    On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 10:06:47 -0500, Keith <> wrote:

    > Can anyone give me an opinion on Geocities web hosting.

    No, don't.

    > I'm looking for a
    > web host for a personal web site based in the US

    Many out there. You can spend way less than $100 a year. I run a website
    on Hostsave.

    Neal, Dec 21, 2004
  12. RE/
    >Can anyone give me an opinion on Geocities web hosting. I'm looking for a
    >web host for a personal web site based in the US

    Dunno where it is .... and I don't know enought technical-wise to care... but
    I've been doing a site on www.discount-hosting.com for about a month now.

    50 megs, PHP, Sql-Whatever....no support whatsoever...$10 per year, no
    advertisements, nothing strange - except that you have to point everything
    assoicated with your domain to your account at that site.

    I've got my personal stuff on www.affordablehost.com. 50 megs, no charge
    whatsoever, no advertisements....and I *think* it's in the USA. I can upgrade
    my account to something like 200 megs with PHP and SQL-whatever for $60 per
    year. The advangage of affordablehost is that I don't have to point all of my
    domain at it - only the web stuff...which lets me continue using Cotse.net for
    email.
    --
    PeteCresswell

    (Pete Cresswell), Dec 21, 2004
  13. While the city slept, Richard (Anonymous@127.001) feverishly typed...

    > Els wrote:
    >
    >> Keith wrote:

    >>> Can anyone give me an opinion on Geocities web hosting. I'm
    >>> looking for a web host for a personal web site based in the
    >>> US

    >> As far as I know Geocities make your site have ugly ads on them.
    >> If you don't need PHP and other special stuff, go for the free
    >> version on affordablehost.com. No ads.

    > They do host sites as any other hosts do.
    > But for $8.95/month and only 25mb, one can do much better elsewhere.

    You really have gone from a "clueless shit" to a "lying bastard", haven't
    you?

    Their (Affordable Host's) first "pay for" package is 100Mb (by the way,
    small "m" is "milli", as in "one thousandth of", as opposed to large "M"
    which is "mega", as in "one thousand of") and 1Gb/month bandwidth, which is
    $35.95/year, or $2.99/month. They also do a package where you don't pay
    *anything* where you get 50Mb and 500Mb/month bandwidth. Pretty damned good
    deal! The first option includes PHP, the second doesn't. If you want MySQL
    as well, go for their third option, which also features 200Mb of space and
    5Gb bandwidth for only $5.95/month. If you want to go for $1 less than what
    you stated, you actually get 300Mb space, 10Gb bandwidth and 3 MySQL
    databases, as opposed to the 25 Meg you quoted.

    Please note that I am *not* an employee of Affordable Host. I am a very
    satisfied customer of several years, and happily host my site, and my
    clients sites, on their servers.

    You have gone beyond "slightly amusing" and are now in the realms of
    "fucking idiot". Please stop posting your idiotic nonsense, as new people
    might not realise how little you actually know and take you seriously.

    Cheers,
    Nige

    --
    Nigel Moss
    http://www.nigenet.org.uk

    nice.guy.nige, Dec 22, 2004
  14. Keith

    Neal Guest

    On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 00:09:26 -0000, nice.guy.nige
    <> wrote:

    > While the city slept, Richard (Anonymous@127.001) feverishly typed...

    >>> As far as I know Geocities make your site have ugly ads on them.
    >>> If you don't need PHP and other special stuff, go for the free
    >>> version on affordablehost.com. No ads.

    >> They do host sites as any other hosts do.
    >> But for $8.95/month and only 25mb, one can do much better elsewhere.

    > You really have gone from a "clueless shit" to a "lying bastard", haven't
    > you?

    I thought he was talking about Geocities. Numbers seem to match. I think
    he's just a sloppy trimmer, not a malevolent liar.

    Neal, Dec 22, 2004
  15. Keith

    rf Guest

    Neal wrote:

    > I thought he was talking about Geocities. Numbers seem to match. I think
    > he's just a sloppy trimmer, not a malevolent liar.

    You are new here Neal.

    He's a fucking idiot and now he is a self confessed theif.

    Search the archives for the words "richard the stupid" or "bullis".

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Dec 22, 2004
  16. Keith

    Neal Guest

    rf wrote:
    > Neal wrote:
    >> I think he's ... not a malevolent liar.

    > You are new here Neal.
    >
    > He's a fucking idiot and now he is a self confessed theif.
    >
    > Search the archives for the words "richard the stupid" or "bullis".

    Oh, is he the same guy?

    Well, I still think he's just challenged. If he's a troll he does quite
    well. There are a few posters I encounter who never quite get the simplest
    things.

    Neal, Dec 22, 2004
  17. Keith

    rf Guest

    Neal wrote:
    > rf wrote:
    > >
    > > Search the archives for the words "richard the stupid" or "bullis".

    > Oh, is he the same guy?

    Yep.

    Look at the address of the web site he uses. The one on Yahoo that is a
    direct copy of Mr D's test site.

    > Well, I still think he's just challenged. If he's a troll he does quite
    > well.

    Nope. Not a troll. He actually believes the things he writes here (and
    elsewhere).

    > There are a few posters I encounter who never quite get the simplest
    > things.

    I think you meant to say:
    "There are few posters I encounter who never quite get the simplest things."

    Note the missing 'a' before 'few' :)

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Dec 22, 2004
  18. "Richard" <Anonymous@127.001> wrote in message
    > Els wrote:
    >
    >> Keith wrote:

    >>> Can anyone give me an opinion on Geocities web hosting. I'm
    >>> looking for a web host for a personal web site based in the
    >>> US

    >> As far as I know Geocities make your site have ugly ads on them.
    >> If you don't need PHP and other special stuff, go for the free
    >> version on affordablehost.com. No ads.

    > They do host sites as any other hosts do.
    > But for $8.95/month and only 25mb, one can do much better elsewhere.

    We don't have any $8.95 accounts and even our free account comes with more
    than 25 mb. Maybe you were referring to Geocities...but you've quoted the
    part about affordablehost.

    --Tina

    Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc., Dec 22, 2004
  19. "Els" <> wrote in message
    > Richard wrote:

    >>> As far as I know Geocities make your site have ugly ads on
    >>> them. If you don't need PHP and other special stuff, go
    >>> for the free version on affordablehost.com. No ads.

    >> They do host sites as any other hosts do.
    >> But for $8.95/month and only 25mb, one can do much better
    >> elsewhere.

    > That's /not/ affordablehost you're talking about.

    Thank you!!! Yikes! :)

    --Tina

    Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc., Dec 22, 2004
  20. Keith

    Duende Guest

    While sitting in a puddle Neal scribbled in the mud:

    > rf wrote:
    >> Neal wrote:
    >>> I think he's ... not a malevolent liar.

    >> You are new here Neal.
    >>
    >> He's a fucking idiot and now he is a self confessed theif.
    >>
    >> Search the archives for the words "richard the stupid" or "bullis".

    > Oh, is he the same guy?
    >
    > Well, I still think he's just challenged. If he's a troll he does quite
    > well. There are a few posters I encounter who never quite get the simplest
    > things.

    Just do a google for richard bullis

    --
    Mr. D?