Geocities opinions

Neal

rf said:
I think you meant to say:
"There are few posters I encounter who never quite get the simplest
things."

Note the missing 'a' before 'few' :)

Actually these posters are both "a few" and "few".

Failing to see the difference in real terms. Will therefore drink vodka
till it makes sense or I soil my undergarments.

Paul F. Johnson

Hi,
Can anyone give me an opinion on Geocities web hosting. I'm looking for a
web host for a personal web site based in the US

Install apache onto you machine and host from home (assuming you're on
ADSL or similar). All you then need to do is use somewhere like
dyndns.org to act as the static IP. Completely free to use service :)

TTFN

Paul

SpaceGirl

Paul said:
Hi,

Install apache onto you machine and host from home (assuming you're on
ADSL or similar). All you then need to do is use somewhere like
dyndns.org to act as the static IP. Completely free to use service :)

TTFN

Paul

Hmmm might breach your contract with your service provider tho... they
tend to be touchy about running servers from your home.

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

Paul F. Johnson

Hi,
Hmmm might breach your contract with your service provider tho... they
tend to be touchy about running servers from your home.

Unless you're on AOL or some other content provider pretending to be an
ISP, you should be fine.

TTFN

Paul

Uncle Pirate

SpaceGirl said:
Paul F. Johnson wrote:
Hmmm might breach your contract with your service provider tho... they
tend to be touchy about running servers from your home.
Not necessarily. When I first set up my server, I could not access over
port 80 although I could if I used another port. I called my ISP to
find out why and was told that due to "Code Red" which was so prominent
at the time, port 80 was blocked except to static IP addresses. For
$5.00 more per month, I could have a static IP and use port 80.

I'm now running four fairly low traffic domains from my home server on
my DSL connection.

Cooordinator, Tularosa Basin Chapter, ABATE of NM; AMA#758681; COBB
'94 1500 Vulcan (now wrecked) :( http://motorcyclefun.org/Dcp_2068c.jpg

SpaceGirl

Uncle said:
Not necessarily. When I first set up my server, I could not access over
port 80 although I could if I used another port. I called my ISP to
find out why and was told that due to "Code Red" which was so prominent
at the time, port 80 was blocked except to static IP addresses. For
$5.00 more per month, I could have a static IP and use port 80.

I'm now running four fairly low traffic domains from my home server on
my DSL connection.

Yeah, we have a web server at home too (running off a regular consumer
4mbit line). while our provider (telewest) dont support it, they dont
really care what we stick on the cable so long as its legal. But in the
past I've seen other providers be "funny" about this.

We are of course firewalled too...

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)