GeoLocation forwarding on international sites and Bing

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by TurboTom, Jul 1, 2010.

  1. TurboTom

    TurboTom Guest

    Currently if you search Bing (regardless of whether you filter on the UK or
    not) you will get a link to the US version of our web site at the top of the
    search results (http://www.XXXX/us). This is bad news for us, since our
    customer base is 98% UK based and the US site is a fledgling recently
    launched.

    We have 3 sites:
    XXXXX/uk
    XXXXX/us
    XXXXX.com.au

    In order to geo-locate our customers to the right web site we have a site
    selector page at
    www.XXXXXX.com

    This uses geo-location software to lookup the IP number and direct to the
    appropriate site. Since the Bing bot is clearly US based it appears to have
    assumed that the US site is our primary one, as this is where it will have
    been directed to. It is most emphatically not.

    Because of the penalties for attempting to hookwink search engine Bots, we
    have made no attempt to route the Bing bot to the UK site. There are links
    from the US site, but these are obviously not ranked well compared to
    www.XXXXX.com/us

    I have found Bing’s webmaster tools and am in the process of validating the
    sites, but as far as I can see there are no geo-targetting options as there
    are in Google, and until we can work this out we’re going to have a lot of
    confused customers.

    Is there any advice on how we can fix this, at least for UK internet
    searches, if not international ones?
    TurboTom, Jul 1, 2010

  2. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed =?Utf-8?B?VHVyYm9Ub20=?=
    <> writing in

    > Currently if you search Bing (regardless of whether you filter on the
    > UK or not) you will get a link to the US version of our web site at
    > the top of the search results (http://www.XXXX/us). This is bad news
    > for us, since our customer base is 98% UK based and the US site is a
    > fledgling recently launched.
    >
    > We have 3 sites:
    > XXXXX/uk
    > XXXXX/us
    > XXXXX.com.au

    Please use example.com. It is reserved for that use, see
    http://example.com or http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc2606.txt

    > In order to geo-locate our customers to the right web site we have a
    > site selector page at
    > www.XXXXXX.com
    >
    > This uses geo-location software to lookup the IP number and direct to
    > the appropriate site. Since the Bing bot is clearly US based it
    > appears to have assumed that the US site is our primary one, as this
    > is where it will have been directed to. It is most emphatically not.
    >
    > Because of the penalties for attempting to hookwink search engine
    > Bots, we have made no attempt to route the Bing bot to the UK site.
    > There are links from the US site, but these are obviously not ranked
    > well compared to www.XXXXX.com/us
    >
    > I have found Bing’s webmaster tools and am in the process of
    > validating the sites, but as far as I can see there are no
    > geo-targetting options as there are in Google, and until we can work
    > this out we’re going to have a lot of confused customers.
    >
    > Is there any advice on how we can fix this, at least for UK internet
    > searches, if not international ones?

    You could look for Bing's UA string and redirect to the .uk site. I
    would use a 301, moved permanently:

    Response.Status="301 Moved Permanently"
    Response.AddHeader "Location", "http://example.com/uk/"

    --