geolocation query in javascript

cerr

Hi There,

I'm working on an application that potentially gets 1000s of
geolocation queries per day and if I don this (as I've done it till
now) in php, it works fine but I quickly run into OVER_QUERY_LIMIT
from the google map apis. Thus I think I'd better do it in javascript
and just send the coordinates to the server for caching rather than
querying from the server's IP. Now the url that sends back the
location information looks like this:
http://maps.googleapis.com/maps/api/geocode/xml?address=3021+Underhill+Ave+Burnaby,+BC&sensor=false
and I was wondering how I can send a request to this url and parse the
xml string that's treturned. Is there a handy method that's compatible
accross a bunch of browsers incl. mobile ones?

Thanks,
Ron