Geospatial Annotation Project

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Tony McLaughlin, Jun 14, 2007.

  1. This is my first post to this ng, please bare with me if the topic is not
    germaine.

    I represent a group of investors seeking input, developer participation and
    open source collaboration on a geospatial annotation social bookmarking
    application. Our project aims to develop a web app that allows users to
    bookmark locations with multi-media (text, pictures, sound, clips) for
    sharing and community building. Uses include private, community and social
    networking, and commercial.

    The spec is for an embed J2ME app in users mobile device to identify
    location (JSR 179, triangulation, etc.) and a web platform that reads
    positioning from the mobile app, or users may enter positions manually and
    forego the mobile app (address, lat / long, etc.). Both web based and mobile
    web platform.

    Think convergence of YouTube with wikipedia (ala "what I know about here is.
    .. . "), LBS, Friendster, geoblogging, and del.icio.us. Whatever you like
    about a place, bookmark it and add notation. Bookmark yourself as a
    travelling spot on the map, and tag yourself up and down. Connect with
    people based on tags. Need a date in your area of Sticksville? Drive to a
    new city and find the top rated pizza place, who died where, who is single,
    what local book club meets where, etc. etc. etc. Walk to your corner and
    search for "taxi cab" and have the nearest one pick you up. Form a private
    club for your friends ala Dodgeball.com and let everyone know where to meet
    you. Talk about that new doggie park with the cute chics and where it's
    located. A virtual signpost with annotation for any tag you can imagine, the
    community builds and shapes the site.

    We are looking for input, collab, open source developers. I am the cash guy
    and principal, and willing to give "sweat equity" to hardcore developers
    with vision. We have a bootstrap budget, and connects with a biz angel who
    knows the product will work, but the devil is in the details. This is a no
    brainer, but requires a community effort.

    Could use feedback and open source participation, dialogue, a list of folks
    to sign up for the prototype release (6 months) and testing, UI experts, GPS
    / GIS experts, telecom engineers, mappers, Flash artists, LAMP jockeys, Java
    jockeys, DotNet jockeys, visionaries at home in your P.J.'s.

    You can respond via this post or email my team here:

    Thank you for your time.

    Regards,

    --
    Tony McLaughlin