Geronimo and Tomcat

yzzzzz

Hi,

What exactly is the difference between Geronimo and Tomcat? Is Tomcat a
subset of Geronimo? Which should I use?

Thanks.

Arnaud Berger

Hi,

As stated on Apache site :

Tomcat:
"Tomcat is the servlet container that is used in the official Reference
Implementation for the Java Servlet and JavaServer Pages technologies. "

Geronimo:
"Welcome to Apache Geronimo, the J2EE server project of the Apache Software
Foundation. "

Tomcat is not a certified J2EE server since it only manages the Servlet and
JSP specs of J2EE

Geronimo should become a certified J2EE server, including other J2EE stuff
like EJBs, JMS, ....

Note that tomcat has been there from a long time, it is stable and is THE
current reference for Servlets and JSPs.
Geronimo is only available as unstable and milestone releases, thus it is
not production-ready at this time.

Regards,

Arnaud

Bryce

Hi,

What exactly is the difference between Geronimo and Tomcat? Is Tomcat a
subset of Geronimo? Which should I use?

Tomcat = Servlet Engine (subset of the J2EE spec).
Geronimo = Full J2EE Engine (including Servlets)

Geronimo is a Superset of Tomcat (Actually, I think Geronimo uses
Jetty for its servlet engine, not Tomcat, but I could be wrong).