    What exactly is the difference between Geronimo and Tomcat? Is Tomcat a
    subset of Geronimo? Which should I use?

    Thanks.
    yzzzzz, May 12, 2005

  2. Hi,

    As stated on Apache site :

    Tomcat:
    "Tomcat is the servlet container that is used in the official Reference
    Implementation for the Java Servlet and JavaServer Pages technologies. "

    Geronimo:
    "Welcome to Apache Geronimo, the J2EE server project of the Apache Software
    Foundation. "

    Tomcat is not a certified J2EE server since it only manages the Servlet and
    JSP specs of J2EE

    Geronimo should become a certified J2EE server, including other J2EE stuff
    like EJBs, JMS, ....

    Note that tomcat has been there from a long time, it is stable and is THE
    current reference for Servlets and JSPs.
    Geronimo is only available as unstable and milestone releases, thus it is
    not production-ready at this time.

    Regards,

    Arnaud

    428315f4$0$299$...

    Arnaud Berger, May 12, 2005

  3. yzzzzz

    Bryce Guest

    On Thu, 12 May 2005 10:38:11 +0200, yzzzzz <> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >What exactly is the difference between Geronimo and Tomcat? Is Tomcat a
    >subset of Geronimo? Which should I use?

    Tomcat = Servlet Engine (subset of the J2EE spec).
    Geronimo = Full J2EE Engine (including Servlets)

    Geronimo is a Superset of Tomcat (Actually, I think Geronimo uses
    Jetty for its servlet engine, not Tomcat, but I could be wrong).

    --
    now with more cowbell
    Bryce, May 12, 2005