get custom fault detail type in to wsdl?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Ryan Melville, Apr 21, 2005.

  1. Hi,

    I understand that I can add custom fault information to the Detail element
    of a SOAP fault. For example, I can serialize my own custom type into the
    Detail element.

    However, how do I communicate that custom type and its presence in faults
    from the server to the client? The WSDL generated by ASP.NET does not seem
    to have:

    - My custom type added to the <wsdl:types>.
    - A <wsdl:message> for my custom fault message.
    - A <wsdl:fault> for the operations that can "return" the custom fault
    message.

    Are there attributes or other things I can use to force these items into the
    generated WSDL?

    Alternatively, is there some way I can force at least the type into the
    generated WSDL? I may be able to live without the <wsdl:message> and
    <wsdl:fault> tags if I can at least communicate the custom fault type
    through WSDL. Then, I would just have to document that the Detail element
    of faults contains this type serialized.

    For example, [WebMethod] causes a method to be in the WSDL as an operation.
    The paremeter/return types of the method are automatically added to the
    WSDL. But my custom fault type is not a paramter/return from a [WebMethod]
    so it doesn't make it into the WSDL. Is there a [WebType] attribute or
    similary?

    Thanks for any help anyone may be able to provide!

    Ryan

    Ryan Melville, Apr 21, 2005