get file modification time in mm/dd/yyyy format?

beliavsky

Using Python 2.4 on Windows, for me the command

print os.stat("temp.txt")[stat.ST_MTIME]

gives

1115478343 ,

which is "seconds since the epoch". How can I get the modification time
in a format such as

05/07/2005 11:05 AM

as in Windows with the dir command? Ideal would be a tuple of 6 values,
(year,month,day,hour,minute,second). Thanks.

Peter Hansen

Using Python 2.4 on Windows, for me the command

print os.stat("temp.txt")[stat.ST_MTIME]

gives

1115478343 ,

which is "seconds since the epoch". How can I get the modification time
in a format such as

05/07/2005 11:05 AM

as in Windows with the dir command? Ideal would be a tuple of 6 values,
(year,month,day,hour,minute,second). Thanks.

Do you want the time formatted as above, or as a tuple, since you seem
unclear?

time.strftime('%m/%d/%Y %H:%M %p', time.localtime(time.time()))

time.localtime(time.time())[:6] would do the latter...

Check the "time" module docs for more.

-Peter

wittempj

Tried this it on linux, should work under windows as well I think
martin@ubuntu:~$ python
Python 2.4.1 (#2, Mar 30 2005, 21:51:10)
[GCC 3.3.5 (Debian 1:3.3.5-8ubuntu2)] on linux2
py> import time
py> t = time.localtime(1115478343)
py> print t
(2005, 5, 7, 17, 5, 43, 5, 127, 1)
py> print time.asctime(t)
Sat May 7 17:05:43 2005
py>

F. Petitjean

Le 7 May 2005 08:23:48 -0700, (e-mail address removed) a écrit :
Using Python 2.4 on Windows, for me the command

print os.stat("temp.txt")[stat.ST_MTIME]

gives

1115478343 ,

which is "seconds since the epoch". How can I get the modification time
in a format such as

05/07/2005 11:05 AM

as in Windows with the dir command? Ideal would be a tuple of 6 values,
(year,month,day,hour,minute,second). Thanks.
I type
import time
dir(time)
lot of stuff
help(time.localtime)
localtime([seconds]) ->
(tm_year,tm_mon,tm_day,tm_hour,tm_min,tm_sec,tm_wday,tm_yday,tm_isdst)

Convert seconds since the Epoch to a time tuple expressing local time.
When 'seconds' is not passed in, convert the current time instead.
(2005, 5, 7, 17, 5, 43, 5, 127, 1)
it seems to be 7 may 2005 17h 5 minutes 43 seconds

To have such a formatting you have to type help(time.strptime) which
sadly will say
See the library reference manual for formatting codes (same as strftime()).