    ip address of that mac id or machine.....

    Thanks
    VM
    BigZero, Jul 14, 2008

  2. BigZero wrote:
    > hello ppl,
    > is there any way or posable to get a ip-Address from mac address, i
    > mean that i have the mac address of a machine and i want to known the
    > ip address of that mac id or machine.....

    arp -a
    Thomas Schodt, Jul 14, 2008

  3. BigZero

    Nigel Wade Guest

    BigZero wrote:

    > hello ppl,
    > is there any way or posable to get a ip-Address from mac address, i
    > mean that i have the mac address of a machine and i want to known the
    > ip address of that mac id or machine.....

    Directly from Java? None that I know of.

    What you want is ARP (address resolution protocol) which maps between IP and
    Ethernet MAC. A typical scenario is first to ping the machine (it doesn't
    matter whether the ping succeeds), or attempt to open a socket, to ensure that
    the ARP cache has an entry for the machine in question. Then you query the ARP
    cache by some means.

    --
    Nigel Wade
    Nigel Wade, Jul 14, 2008
  4. BigZero

    BigZero Guest

    On Jul 14, 5:41 pm, Nigel Wade <> wrote:
    > BigZero wrote:
    > > hello ppl,
    > > is there any way or posable to get a ip-Address from mac address, i
    > > mean that i have the mac address of a machine and i want to known the
    > > ip address of that mac id or machine.....

    > Directly from Java? None that I know of.
    >
    > What you want is ARP (address resolution protocol) which maps between IP and
    > Ethernet MAC. A typical scenario is first to ping the machine (it doesn't
    > matter whether the ping succeeds), or attempt to open a socket, to ensure that
    > the ARP cache has an entry for the machine in question. Then you query the ARP
    > cache by some means.
    >
    > --
    > Nigel Wade

    well i m getting mac address from SNMP, i known that i can get ip
    address if i query the ip OID.
    but the ip address changes(DHCP) so we want to keep the history of a
    machine so i m using mac address that never changes, so here all want
    to known is that is it possible to ip from mac address or can i query
    the snmp with mac address.....

    Thanks
    VM
    BigZero, Jul 14, 2008
  5. BigZero

    Nigel Wade Guest

    BigZero wrote:

    > On Jul 14, 5:41 pm, Nigel Wade <> wrote:
    >> BigZero wrote:
    >> > hello ppl,
    >> > is there any way or posable to get a ip-Address from mac address, i
    >> > mean that i have the mac address of a machine and i want to known the
    >> > ip address of that mac id or machine.....

    >> Directly from Java? None that I know of.
    >>
    >> What you want is ARP (address resolution protocol) which maps between IP and
    >> Ethernet MAC. A typical scenario is first to ping the machine (it doesn't
    >> matter whether the ping succeeds), or attempt to open a socket, to ensure

    that
    >> the ARP cache has an entry for the machine in question. Then you query the

    ARP
    >> cache by some means.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Nigel Wade

    > well i m getting mac address from SNMP, i known that i can get ip
    > address if i query the ip OID.
    > but the ip address changes(DHCP) so we want to keep the history of a
    > machine so i m using mac address that never changes, so here all want
    > to known is that is it possible to ip from mac address or can i query
    > the snmp with mac address.....

    Sorry, can't help with SNMP. I've never used it.

    We are prohibited by local edict from using SNMP. SNMP is restricted to the
    central IT dept. who use it to manage their own equipment.

    --
    Nigel Wade
    Nigel Wade, Jul 14, 2008
  6. BigZero

    BigZero Guest

    On Jul 14, 6:53 pm, Nigel Wade <> wrote:
    > BigZero wrote:

    > >> Directly from Java? None that I know of.

    > >> What you want is ARP (address resolution protocol) which maps between IP and
    > >> Ethernet MAC. A typical scenario is first to ping the machine (it doesn't
    > >> matter whether the ping succeeds), or attempt to open a socket, to ensure

    > that
    > >> the ARP cache has an entry for the machine in question. Then you query the

    > ARP
    > >> cache by some means.

    > >> --
    > >> Nigel Wade

    > > well i m getting mac address from SNMP, i known that i can get ip
    > > address if i query the ip OID.
    > > but the ip address changes(DHCP) so we want to keep the history of a
    > > machine so i m using mac address that never changes, so here all want
    > > to known is that is it possible to ip from mac address or can i query
    > > the snmp with mac address.....

    > Sorry, can't help with SNMP. I've never used it.
    >
    > We are prohibited by local edict from using SNMP. SNMP is restricted to the
    > central IT dept. who use it to manage their own equipment.
    >
    > --
    > Nigel Wade

    hey no problem thanks, i hope somebody may worked on that thing, all i
    get stuck in get all ip from a single packet request that is
    "broadcasting",
    i m enable do this in snmp or non-snmp(simple java) program,
    BigZero, Jul 14, 2008
  7. BigZero

    Mark Rafn Guest

    BigZero <> wrote:
    >is there any way or posable to get a ip-Address from mac address, i
    >mean that i have the mac address of a machine and i want to known the
    >ip address of that mac id or machine.....

    This requires more context. A given mac address can have multiple IP
    addresses, and the only mappings between them are local to the networking
    stack on that host, and in the arp tables of hosts on the same ethernet
    segment. Outside the local network segment, there is no knowledge of mac
    addresses: they are not part of IP, they're part of ethernet.

    As others have said, you might look into smtp for connecting to that host and
    querying information about it. Or if you're on the same segment, look at your
    own arp tables (see the arp command if you're on a unix-like machine).

    Otherwise, look for a different way to solve whatever your real problem is.
    --
    Mark Rafn <http://www.dagon.net/>
    Mark Rafn, Jul 14, 2008
  8. BigZero

    Tom Anderson Guest

    On Mon, 14 Jul 2008, Nigel Wade wrote:

    > BigZero wrote:
    >
    >> is there any way or posable to get a ip-Address from mac address, i
    >> mean that i have the mac address of a machine and i want to known the
    >> ip address of that mac id or machine.....

    > Directly from Java? None that I know of.
    >
    > What you want is ARP (address resolution protocol) which maps between IP
    > and Ethernet MAC. A typical scenario is first to ping the machine (it
    > doesn't matter whether the ping succeeds), or attempt to open a socket,
    > to ensure that the ARP cache has an entry for the machine in question.

    Ah, but if you know the MAC address but not the IP, you can't do that.

    I think you'd need to do something like craft an IP packet which had the
    broadcast address as a destination, then send it to the right MAC address
    using a raw socket. Actually, not even a raw socket, a SOCK_PACKET or
    something. Yikes. Anyway, it should be something that elicits a response
    that will put the mapping into the ARP cache. A normal ARP request might
    do it, unless your host ignores apparently-unsolicited ARP responses. I'm
    trying to work out if there's a way to provoke the target into emitting an
    ARP announcement, but i can't think of anything.

    You might just have to cross your fingers and hope the target is already
    in your ARP cache!

    > Then you query the ARP cache by some means.

    Yes. I can't find anything better than arp -a, as Thomas Schodt suggested.
    There doesn't seem to be a portable API to arp; linux has some ioctls, and
    /proc/net/arp, but that's it.

    The OP should probably try a networking group with this question.

    tom

    --
    Let us learn to dream, gentlemen, and then perhaps we will learn the
    truth. -- Friedrich Kekule
    Tom Anderson, Jul 14, 2008
  9. BigZero

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    BigZero wrote:
    > On Jul 14, 6:53 pm, Nigel Wade <> wrote:
    >> BigZero wrote:
    >>> well i m getting mac address from SNMP, i known that i can get ip
    >>> address if i query the ip OID.
    >>> but the ip address changes(DHCP) so we want to keep the history of a
    >>> machine so i m using mac address that never changes, so here all want
    >>> to known is that is it possible to ip from mac address or can i query
    >>> the snmp with mac address.....

    >> Sorry, can't help with SNMP. I've never used it.
    >>
    >> We are prohibited by local edict from using SNMP. SNMP is restricted to the
    >> central IT dept. who use it to manage their own equipment.

    > hey no problem thanks, i hope somebody may worked on that thing, all i
    > get stuck in get all ip from a single packet request that is
    > "broadcasting",
    > i m enable do this in snmp or non-snmp(simple java) program,

    If you want to give SNMP a try, then:

    http://www.snmp4j.org/

    may save you some of the low level work.

    Arne
    Arne Vajhøj, Jul 15, 2008
  10. BigZero

    Nigel Wade Guest

    Tom Anderson wrote:

    > On Mon, 14 Jul 2008, Nigel Wade wrote:
    >
    >> BigZero wrote:
    >>
    >>> is there any way or posable to get a ip-Address from mac address, i
    >>> mean that i have the mac address of a machine and i want to known the
    >>> ip address of that mac id or machine.....

    >> Directly from Java? None that I know of.
    >>
    >> What you want is ARP (address resolution protocol) which maps between IP
    >> and Ethernet MAC. A typical scenario is first to ping the machine (it
    >> doesn't matter whether the ping succeeds), or attempt to open a socket,
    >> to ensure that the ARP cache has an entry for the machine in question.

    > Ah, but if you know the MAC address but not the IP, you can't do that.

    Quite, one of those "Duh!" moments...

    --
    Nigel Wade
    Nigel Wade, Jul 15, 2008
  11. BigZero

    Tom Anderson Guest

    On Tue, 15 Jul 2008, Nigel Wade wrote:

    > Tom Anderson wrote:

    >>> Directly from Java? None that I know of.
    >>>
    >>> What you want is ARP (address resolution protocol) which maps between IP
    >>> and Ethernet MAC. A typical scenario is first to ping the machine (it
    >>> doesn't matter whether the ping succeeds), or attempt to open a socket,
    >>> to ensure that the ARP cache has an entry for the machine in question.

    >> Ah, but if you know the MAC address but not the IP, you can't do that.

    > Quite, one of those "Duh!" moments...

    I know what you mean! The weird thing is, i can't for the life of me
    figure out what a MAC-based ping would look like. Could you do it with the
    broadcast IP address and the target's MAC address? Would your host ignore
    the response? Would it end up in the ARP tables?

    tom

    --
    As Emiliano Zapata supposedly said, "Better to die on your feet than
    live on your knees." And years after he died, Marlon Brando played him
    Tom Anderson, Jul 15, 2008
  12. BigZero

    Nigel Wade Guest

    Tom Anderson wrote:

    > On Tue, 15 Jul 2008, Nigel Wade wrote:
    >
    >> Tom Anderson wrote:

    >>> Ah, but if you know the MAC address but not the IP, you can't do that.

    >> Quite, one of those "Duh!" moments...

    > I know what you mean! The weird thing is, i can't for the life of me
    > figure out what a MAC-based ping would look like.

    Is there any such thing as a MAC based ping? Ping is an ICMP protocol and surely
    requires an IP address? Hence the "Duh!", as that part of my response didn't
    apply to the question the OP asked, get the IP from the MAC. As my physics
    teacher took pains to point out - read the question carefully and answer the
    question that is asked, you get no marks for answering a different question no
    matter how correct your answer might be.

    > Could you do it with the
    > broadcast IP address and the target's MAC address?

    I don't think you could use the target's MAC address, a broadcast should got to
    each machine. I have never looked at a broadcast packet to see what MAC address
    is used in the Ethernet frame (not even sure how to), maybe the MAC for the
    default route?

    > Would your host ignore
    > the response? Would it end up in the ARP tables?

    I've just tried a broadcast ping. I didn't receive any replies, but the ARP
    table was populated by every pingable host.

    --
    Nigel Wade
    Nigel Wade, Jul 15, 2008
  13. BigZero

    Tom Anderson Guest

    On Tue, 15 Jul 2008, Nigel Wade wrote:

    > Tom Anderson wrote:

    >>> Quite, one of those "Duh!" moments...

    >> I know what you mean! The weird thing is, i can't for the life of me
    >> figure out what a MAC-based ping would look like.

    > Is there any such thing as a MAC based ping? Ping is an ICMP protocol
    > and surely requires an IP address? Hence the "Duh!", as that part of my
    > response didn't apply to the question the OP asked, get the IP from the
    > MAC.

    There is no purely link-layer ping, but i was thinking about trickery.

    >> Could you do it with the broadcast IP address and the target's MAC
    >> address?

    > I don't think you could use the target's MAC address, a broadcast should
    > got to each machine. I have never looked at a broadcast packet to see
    > what MAC address is used in the Ethernet frame (not even sure how to),
    > maybe the MAC for the default route?

    If you're making a real broadcast, it uses the ethernet broadcast address
    (FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF).

    My idea was to send a very special packet, which had the IP broadcast
    address in the IP destination address field, but the target machine's MAC
    address in the ethernet address field. You'd have to use a super-special
    raw socket, a SOCK_PACKET, or direct access to the ethernet driver to do
    this. But once you had, ethernet would deliver the packet to the target
    machine, and only that machine, and then its IP layer would, hopefully,
    interpret it as a packet it should process. It might notice that the MAC
    and IP addresses didn't match, and discard it as suspicious, i don't know.

    I was then worrying about how you'd get a response from the target that
    would put its addresses into your ARP cache (involving a second bit of
    trickery at the ARP level), but ...

    >> Would your host ignore
    >> the response? Would it end up in the ARP tables?

    > I've just tried a broadcast ping. I didn't receive any replies, but the
    > ARP table was populated by every pingable host.

    .... in that case, a simple ping should do it. And, indeed, a broadcast
    ping would be a crude but effective alternative - as long as you're on the
    same ethernet segment (or 'broadcast domain' in a switched ethernet) as
    the target.

    tom

    Tom Anderson, Jul 15, 2008
  14. BigZero

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 03:03:24 -0700 (PDT), BigZero
    <> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted
    someone who said :

    >is there any way or posable to get a ip-Address from mac address, i
    >mean that i have the mac address of a machine and i want to known the
    >ip address of that mac id or machine.....

    try this:

    use NetworkInterface.getByName to get a NetWorkInterface object.

    Check you have the correct MAC with getHardwareAddress.

    use getInetAddresses to get a list of associated IPs.

    If that does not work, horse around with java.net.NetworkInterface
    methods.
    --

    Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    The Java Glossary
    Roedy Green, Jul 21, 2008
  15. BigZero

    Tom Anderson Guest

    On Mon, 21 Jul 2008, Roedy Green wrote:

    > On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 03:03:24 -0700 (PDT), BigZero
    > <> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted
    > someone who said :
    >
    >> is there any way or posable to get a ip-Address from mac address, i
    >> mean that i have the mac address of a machine and i want to known the
    >> ip address of that mac id or machine.....

    > try this:
    >
    > use NetworkInterface.getByName to get a NetWorkInterface object.
    >
    > Check you have the correct MAC with getHardwareAddress.
    >
    > use getInetAddresses to get a list of associated IPs.
    >
    > If that does not work, horse around with java.net.NetworkInterface
    > methods.

    I think the OP was asking about doing MAC -> IP for a *remote* machine.
    NetworkInterface will only help you for interfaces on the local host.

    tom

    --
    Sometimes it takes a madman like Iggy Pop before you can SEE the logic
    really working.
    Tom Anderson, Jul 22, 2008
  16. BigZero

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 17:44:56 +0100, Tom Anderson
    said :

    >I think the OP was asking about doing MAC -> IP for a *remote* machine.

    IIRC the MACs of remote machines are considered secret. He then knows
    the MAC through some mysterious means. I would not hold out hope of
    any ability to manipulate MAC to IP without running some code on the
    remote machine.

    Roedy Green, Jul 22, 2008
  17. BigZero

    Mark Space Guest

    BigZero wrote:

    > well i m getting mac address from SNMP, i known that i can get ip
    > address if i query the ip OID.
    > but the ip address changes(DHCP) so we want to keep the history of a
    > machine so i m using mac address that never changes, so here all want

    In this sort of scenario, it's usual to give the machine a name that
    doesn't change (for example, machine1.example.com) and then use that to
    look up the machine. That way if IP address changes, the name doesn't.

    If you have some IT genius who's invented some sort of random, changing
    name policy, they you're hosed.

    On unix, you can use nslookup to find server names from IP addresses.

    I don't see an nslookup for Java, but Google yields some hits when
    searching, so you might find some free Java code that does what you need.
    Mark Space, Jul 22, 2008
  18. BigZero

    Tom Anderson Guest

    On Tue, 22 Jul 2008, Roedy Green wrote:

    > On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 17:44:56 +0100, Tom Anderson
    > said :
    >
    >> I think the OP was asking about doing MAC -> IP for a *remote* machine.

    > IIRC the MACs of remote machines are considered secret.

    Given that they're written on every network packet the machines send out,
    and knowledge of them is required in order to send packets back to those
    machines, that seems a pretty radical kind of secrecy.

    Certainly, MAC (or other link-layer) addresses are thoroughly encapsulated
    by the network stack on the local machine, so user-level programs don't
    need to worry about them, but i wouldn't call that keeping them secret.
    You can find out about them using the arp -a command on unix; i assume
    there's something similar on windows.

    > He then knows the MAC through some mysterious means.

    Yes, perhaps he's mastered the dark secrets of the 'ifconfig' command.

    > I would not hold out hope of any ability to manipulate MAC to IP without
    > running some code on the remote machine.

    Well, if by 'manipulate' you mean changing the mapping, then no - either
    on the remote machine, or on the DHCP machine which gives it its IP
    address. But if you mean find out what the mapping is, then that's
    eminently possible.

    tom

    Tom Anderson, Jul 23, 2008
  19. BigZero

    Tom Anderson Guest

    On Tue, 22 Jul 2008, Mark Space wrote:

    > BigZero wrote:
    >
    >> well i m getting mac address from SNMP, i known that i can get ip
    >> address if i query the ip OID. but the ip address changes(DHCP) so we
    >> want to keep the history of a machine so i m using mac address that
    >> never changes, so here all want

    > In this sort of scenario, it's usual to give the machine a name that
    > doesn't change (for example, machine1.example.com) and then use that to
    > look up the machine. That way if IP address changes, the name doesn't.
    >
    > If you have some IT genius who's invented some sort of random, changing
    > name policy, they you're hosed.

    Where i work, machines are allocated IP numbers and addresses by DHCP,
    with the hostnames being constructed from the address. Right now, my work
    machine is 128.40.81.98 and mrclmcb98.mcbl.ucl.ac.uk. Tomorrow, both could
    be different. I believe many networks are run this way.

    It would be vastly better if the hostnames were constant. This could be
    done by having a static mapping at the DHCP server, but that would be a
    bit of a pain to administer. It could also be done by transmitting a
    desired machine name as a client-identifer option in the DHCP request
    (which is supported by MacOS, and i would guess also by windows):

    And having the DHCP server use that to form the address.

    The fact that all this doesn't work is the reason why Apple came up with
    zeroconf:

    http://www.zeroconf.org/

    Which does this, amongst other things - participating machines run a
    micro-DNS server, through which they expose their own locally-chosen
    hostname, plus other things like shared volumes, printers, etc.

    > I don't see an nslookup for Java, but Google yields some hits when
    > searching, so you might find some free Java code that does what you
    > need.

    Here's one:

    http://www.dnsjava.org/index.html

    tom

    Tom Anderson, Jul 23, 2008
  20. BigZero

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 00:28:01 +0100, Tom Anderson
    said :

    >> He then knows the MAC through some mysterious means.

    >Yes, perhaps he's mastered the dark secrets of the 'ifconfig' command.

    That is how you find out your OWN MAC. The way he found out the remote
    MAC required some unspecified fiddle to get the machine to reveal it
    to the outside world, perhaps via a human on the telephone.

    The MAC is confidential in the sense the Java Applet sandbox will IIRC
    not let you find out the MAC of your own machine and tattle to another
    machine, unless you sign the applet.

    It is not a secret in the sense of a certificate private key.

    Roedy Green, Jul 23, 2008