get mod_perl max memory usage

Alexandre Jaquet

Hi,

I'm looking for the to get the maximum memory usage autorized for
mod_perl is there any test script I can run

thanks in advance

Alexandre Jaquet

peter pilsl

Alexandre said:
Hi,

I'm looking for the to get the maximum memory usage autorized for
mod_perl is there any test script I can run

please clarify.

The amount of memory that a mod_perl-application can allocate in apache
is limited by your operating systems memory and settings.

You can take a look at you apache-processes and its mem-behaviour with
your standard monitoring tools (like ps under *nix).

But you can easily write a mod_perl-script that allocates as much memory
as you want on startup by simply creating a big datastructure or loading
the content of a file in memory.

best,
peter

Alexandre Jaquet

peter pilsl a écrit :
please clarify.

The amount of memory that a mod_perl-application can allocate in apache
is limited by your operating systems memory and settings.

You can take a look at you apache-processes and its mem-behaviour with
your standard monitoring tools (like ps under *nix).

But you can easily write a mod_perl-script that allocates as much memory
as you want on startup by simply creating a big datastructure or loading
the content of a file in memory.

best,
peter
in fact my questions was :

"how can /where can I settup mod_perl memory usage ?"
"where may I can found default settings ?"
"how much memory perl is allowed to use"

thans for your help :)

peter pilsl

Alexandre said:
"how can /where can I settup mod_perl memory usage ?"
"where may I can found default settings ?"
"how much memory perl is allowed to use"

Please correct me if I'm wrong but imho there is no way to setup
mod_perl memory usage from outside. When I wrote memleaking
mod_perl-scripts there was obviously no limit catching in.
Like in normal perl, its up to the programmer to take care how much mem
its programm will take.

so the answers to your question by my experience, but not by my
knowledge are:

you cant
there are none
all your system gives you

best,
peter

J. Gleixner

peter said:
Please correct me if I'm wrong but imho there is no way to setup
mod_perl memory usage from outside. When I wrote memleaking
mod_perl-scripts there was obviously no limit catching in.
Like in normal perl, its up to the programmer to take care how much mem
its programm will take.

so the answers to your question by my experience, but not by my
knowledge are:

you cant
there are none
all your system gives you

best,
peter

Correct, however to not allow memory usage to get above some limit there
are two modules that'll help: Apache::GTopLimit and Apache::SizeLimit.

There is a lot of documentation about mod_perl at: http://perl.apache.org/