    Thanks,

    Tom
    , Feb 23, 2006

  2. wrote:

    > Does anyone know how to call for the root prompt before launching your
    > app?
    > Kinda like synaptic or the superuser file manager does?

    That is Windowmanager/Desktop dependand. For KDE, you can e.g. create links
    to applications that instruct the KDE to first acquire root privileges. As
    gnome and KDE try to become more cooperative especially in config-issues,
    you might be lucky and can use one mechanism for both.

    However, this is neither a python nor a general unix thing. For better
    answers, try and search the KDE/gnome resources.

    Diez
    Diez B. Roggisch, Feb 23, 2006

  3. sudo is something of a quick fix.

    Harlin Seritt
    Harlin Seritt, Feb 23, 2006

    I was thinking you can do a shell call or something and pass the info
    for root access.
    , Feb 23, 2006

    Then you have root access in that shell only, and not in the 'mother'
    python process. I guess Harlins suggestion is the nest: run with sudo
    , Feb 23, 2006
  6. Malte Dik Guest

    quote:

    > Does anyone know how to call for the root prompt before launching your
    > app?
    > Kinda like synaptic or the superuser file manager does?

    Do you mean something like "kdesu" for KDE?
    Malte Dik, Feb 23, 2006