Get Root access in Linux?

tbonejo

Does anyone know how to call for the root prompt before launching your
app?
Kinda like synaptic or the superuser file manager does?

Thanks,

Tom

Diez B. Roggisch

Does anyone know how to call for the root prompt before launching your
app?
Kinda like synaptic or the superuser file manager does?

That is Windowmanager/Desktop dependand. For KDE, you can e.g. create links
to applications that instruct the KDE to first acquire root privileges. As
gnome and KDE try to become more cooperative especially in config-issues,
you might be lucky and can use one mechanism for both.

However, this is neither a python nor a general unix thing. For better
answers, try and search the KDE/gnome resources.

Diez

tbonejo

I was thinking you can do a shell call or something and pass the info
for root access.

wittempj

Then you have root access in that shell only, and not in the 'mother'
python process. I guess Harlins suggestion is the nest: run with sudo

Malte Dik

quote:
Does anyone know how to call for the root prompt before launching your
app?
Kinda like synaptic or the superuser file manager does?

Do you mean something like "kdesu" for KDE?