Get root attribute values

GIMME

Hi,

<root some_attr="edit">
<a/><a/>
<root>

How do I access the value of some_attr when processing <a/> ?

Sort of like if I had
<root>
<some_attr>edit</some_attr>
</root>

Then I could count on fetching some_attr as /root/some_attr .
But here I want to use an attribute not an element as in the
sort of like example.

Thanks.

Alex Shirshov

Hello, GIMME!
You wrote on 8 Apr 2004 17:56:55 -0700:

G> <root some_attr="edit">
G> <a/><a/>
G> <root>

G> How do I access the value of some_attr when processing <a/> ?

If the context node is a, then you can get the value of some_attr by the
following xpath

.../@some_attr

[Sorry, skipped]

With best regards, Alex Shirshov.

GIMME

Thanks Alex,

Is there a top down solution rather than a bottom up solution,
or is that it?

Patrick TJ McPhee

[reorganised and cut down ...]

%
[...]

% > If the context node is a, then you can get the value of some_attr by the
% > following xpath
% >
% > ../@some_attr

You can use /root/@some_attr.