    tim Guest

    can someone tell me which function returns the screen resolution in
    java script?

    tim, Feb 10, 2006

  2. tim

    Guest

    1. Advertising

  3. tim wrote:

    > can someone tell me which function returns the screen resolution in
    > java script?

    No.

    1. This is a FAQ. Search before you post.

    2. There is no "java script".

    3. You will need an acid for the resolution of your screen, a
    JavaScript function does not provide such a feature (yet).
    Try some diluted HCl for a start.

    4. It is not possible to obtain the display resolution reliably.

    5. The property some would suggest would not help you anyway,
    because:

    Display resolution != desktop size != browser window size
    != viewport size. [psf 3.7]

    <URL:http://jibbering.com/faq/>

    HTH & HAND

    PointedEars

    Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn, Feb 10, 2006
  4. tim

    Ivo Guest

    <> schreef
    > http://javascript.internet.com/user-details/screen-details.html

    That script relies on Java! Not necessary at all. Javascript can do it all
    by itslef:

    var sw = window.screen.width;
    var sh = window.screen.height;
    var aw = window.screen.availWidth;
    var ah = window.screen.availHeight;

    The "available" space is less than the total space when the OS features a
    taskbar, as in Windows for example, which is not set to 'auto-hide'. The
    height of the taskbar can then be determined by noting the difference:

    var taskbarheight = window.screen.height - window.screen.availHeight

    When auto-hide is turned on, the reported available space will be the same
    as the total, even when the bar is not actually hidden.
    --
    Ivo
    http://www.yorick.onlyfools.com/

    Ivo, Feb 10, 2006
  5. JRS: In article <>, dated Sat, 11 Feb
    2006 00:19:06 remote, seen in news:comp.lang.javascript, Thomas
    'PointedEars' Lahn <> posted :
    >tim wrote:
    >
    >> can someone tell me which function returns the screen resolution in
    >> java script?

    >3. You will need an acid for the resolution of your screen, a
    > JavaScript function does not provide such a feature (yet).
    > Try some diluted HCl for a start.

    Don't try to make plays on words in a language which you do not know
    well enough; it merely exposes the inadequacies of your "education".

    --
    © John Stockton, Surrey, UK. ???@merlyn.demon.co.uk Turnpike v4.00 MIME. ©
    Check boilerplate spelling -- error is a public sign of incompetence.

    Dr John Stockton, Feb 12, 2006
  6. Dr John Stockton wrote:

    > [...] Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn [...] posted :
    >> tim wrote:
    >>> can someone tell me which function returns the screen resolution in
    >>> java script?

    >> 3. You will need an acid for the resolution of your screen, a
    >> JavaScript function does not provide such a feature (yet).
    >> Try some diluted HCl for a start.

    > Don't try to make plays on words in a language which you do not know
    > well enough; it merely exposes the inadequacies of your "education".

    Somehow I expected this. And somehow I knew it would be you.

    ,-[Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary,
    | <URL:http://dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp?key=67252&dict=CALD>]
    |
    | *resolution* [...]
    | noun SPECIALIZED
    | 1 when something separates or is separated into clearly different parts:
    | the resolution of oil into bitumen and tar
    | 2 the ability of a microscope, or a television or computer screen, to show
    | things clearly and with a lot of detail:
    | a high/low resolution image

    PointedEars

    Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn, Feb 12, 2006
  7. JRS: In article <>, dated Sun, 12 Feb
    2006 21:40:26 remote, seen in news:comp.lang.javascript, Thomas
    'PointedEars' Lahn <> posted :
    >Dr John Stockton wrote:
    >
    >> [...] Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn [...] posted :
    >>> 3. You will need an acid for the resolution of your screen, a
    >>> JavaScript function does not provide such a feature (yet).
    >>> Try some diluted HCl for a start.

    >> Don't try to make plays on words in a language which you do not know
    >> well enough; it merely exposes the inadequacies of your "education".

    >Somehow I expected this. And somehow I knew it would be you.
    >
    >,-[Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary,
    >| <URL:http://dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp?key=67252&dict=CALD>]
    >|
    >| *resolution* [...]
    >| noun SPECIALIZED
    >| 1 when something separates or is separated into clearly different parts:
    >| the resolution of oil into bitumen and tar
    >| 2 the ability of a microscope, or a television or computer screen, to show
    >| things clearly and with a lot of detail:
    >| a high/low resolution image

    Dictionaries are the one thing for which one should go not to Cambridge
    but to Oxford.

    But in this case Cambridge suffices. The normal meanings of
    "resolution" do not include "solution" as used in chemistry.

    Resolution is, in essence, a separation; solution is in essence an
    incorporation.

    Rather than using a dictionary written only in what is to you a foreign
    language, you should use a suitable English-German dictionary; then you
    should be able to understand the explanations. Not a large one; such
    also give esoteric meanings unsuitable for ordinary use.

    Resolution : Entschlossenheit, Beschluss, Entschluss
    Solution : Losung, Auflosung; Erklarhullen

    Dr John Stockton, Feb 13, 2006
  8. Dr John Stockton wrote:

    > [...] Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn [...] posted :
    >> Dr John Stockton wrote:
    >>> [...] Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn [...] posted :
    >>>
    >>> Don't try to make plays on words in a language which you do not know
    >>> well enough; it merely exposes the inadequacies of your "education".

    >> Somehow I expected this. And somehow I knew it would be you.
    >>
    >>,-[Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary,
    >>| <URL:http://dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp?key=67252&dict=CALD>]
    >>|
    >>| *resolution* [...]
    >>| noun SPECIALIZED
    >>| 1 when something separates or is separated into clearly different parts:
    >>| the resolution of oil into bitumen and tar
    >>| 2 the ability of a microscope, or a television or computer screen, to
    >>| show
    >>| things clearly and with a lot of detail:
    >>| a high/low resolution image

    > Dictionaries are the one thing for which one should go not to Cambridge
    > but to Oxford.

    ,-[Compact Oxford English Dictionary
    | <URL:http://www.askoxford.com/concise_oed/resolution?view=uk>]
    |
    | resolution
    |
    | • noun 1 a firm decision. 2 an expression of opinion or intention agreed
    | on by a legislative body. 3 the quality of being resolute. 4 the |
    | resolving of a problem or dispute. 5 the process of reducing or
    | separating something into components. 6 the smallest interval measurable
    | by a telescope or other scientific instrument. 7 the degree of detail
    | visible in a photographic or television image.

    > But in this case Cambridge suffices. The normal meanings of
    > "resolution" do not include "solution" as used in chemistry.

    That it was meant so is merely your unfounded assumption that allows you to
    start a flamewar once more.

    > Resolution is, in essence, a separation;

    Exactly.

    > solution is in essence an incorporation.
    >
    > Rather than using a dictionary written only in what is to you a foreign
    > language, you should use a suitable English-German dictionary; then you
    > should be able to understand the explanations.

    Rather than depending what you call a suitable English-German dictionary for
    what is or is not the correct translation for a word to what is to you a
    foreign language, you should ask someone who speaks German as native
    language. JFYI: The translations your dictionary provided are _not_
    sufficient.

    PointedEars

    Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn, Feb 14, 2006