get screen resolution

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

tim said:
can someone tell me which function returns the screen resolution in
java script?

No.

1. This is a FAQ. Search before you post.

2. There is no "java script".

3. You will need an acid for the resolution of your screen, a
JavaScript function does not provide such a feature (yet).
Try some diluted HCl for a start.

4. It is not possible to obtain the display resolution reliably.

5. The property some would suggest would not help you anyway,
because:

Display resolution != desktop size != browser window size
!= viewport size. [psf 3.7]

<URL:http://jibbering.com/faq/>

HTH & HAND

PointedEars

Ivo

That script relies on Java! Not necessary at all. Javascript can do it all
by itslef:

var sw = window.screen.width;
var sh = window.screen.height;
var aw = window.screen.availWidth;
var ah = window.screen.availHeight;

The "available" space is less than the total space when the OS features a
taskbar, as in Windows for example, which is not set to 'auto-hide'. The
height of the taskbar can then be determined by noting the difference:

var taskbarheight = window.screen.height - window.screen.availHeight

When auto-hide is turned on, the reported available space will be the same
as the total, even when the bar is not actually hidden.

Dr John Stockton

JRS: In article <[email protected]>, dated Sat, 11 Feb
2006 00:19:06 remote, seen in Thomas
3. You will need an acid for the resolution of your screen, a
JavaScript function does not provide such a feature (yet).
Try some diluted HCl for a start.

Don't try to make plays on words in a language which you do not know
well enough; it merely exposes the inadequacies of your "education".

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Dr said:
[...] Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn [...] posted :
3. You will need an acid for the resolution of your screen, a
JavaScript function does not provide such a feature (yet).
Try some diluted HCl for a start.

Don't try to make plays on words in a language which you do not know
well enough; it merely exposes the inadequacies of your "education".

Somehow I expected this. And somehow I knew it would be you.

,-[Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary,
| <URL:http://dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp?key=67252&dict=CALD>]
|
| *resolution* [...]
| noun SPECIALIZED
| 1 when something separates or is separated into clearly different parts:
| the resolution of oil into bitumen and tar
| 2 the ability of a microscope, or a television or computer screen, to show
| things clearly and with a lot of detail:
| a high/low resolution image

PointedEars

Dr John Stockton

JRS: In article <[email protected]>, dated Sun, 12 Feb
2006 21:40:26 remote, seen in Thomas
tim wrote:
can someone tell me which function returns the screen resolution in
java script?
3. You will need an acid for the resolution of your screen, a
JavaScript function does not provide such a feature (yet).
Try some diluted HCl for a start.

Don't try to make plays on words in a language which you do not know
well enough; it merely exposes the inadequacies of your "education".

Somehow I expected this. And somehow I knew it would be you.

,-[Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary,
| <URL:http://dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp?key=67252&dict=CALD>]
|
| *resolution* [...]
| noun SPECIALIZED
| 1 when something separates or is separated into clearly different parts:
| the resolution of oil into bitumen and tar
| 2 the ability of a microscope, or a television or computer screen, to show
| things clearly and with a lot of detail:
| a high/low resolution image

Dictionaries are the one thing for which one should go not to Cambridge
but to Oxford.

But in this case Cambridge suffices. The normal meanings of
"resolution" do not include "solution" as used in chemistry.

Resolution is, in essence, a separation; solution is in essence an
incorporation.

Rather than using a dictionary written only in what is to you a foreign
language, you should use a suitable English-German dictionary; then you
should be able to understand the explanations. Not a large one; such
also give esoteric meanings unsuitable for ordinary use.

Resolution : Entschlossenheit, Beschluss, Entschluss
Solution : Losung, Auflosung; Erklarhullen

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

tim wrote:
can someone tell me which function returns the screen resolution in
java script?
3. You will need an acid for the resolution of your screen, a
JavaScript function does not provide such a feature (yet).
Try some diluted HCl for a start.

Don't try to make plays on words in a language which you do not know
well enough; it merely exposes the inadequacies of your "education".

Somehow I expected this. And somehow I knew it would be you.

,-[Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary,
| <URL:http://dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp?key=67252&dict=CALD>]
|
| *resolution* [...]
| noun SPECIALIZED
| 1 when something separates or is separated into clearly different parts:
| the resolution of oil into bitumen and tar
| 2 the ability of a microscope, or a television or computer screen, to
| show
| things clearly and with a lot of detail:
| a high/low resolution image

Dictionaries are the one thing for which one should go not to Cambridge
but to Oxford.

,-[Compact Oxford English Dictionary
| <URL:http://www.askoxford.com/concise_oed/resolution?view=uk>]
|
| resolution
|
| • noun 1 a firm decision. 2 an expression of opinion or intention agreed
| on by a legislative body. 3 the quality of being resolute. 4 the |
| resolving of a problem or dispute. 5 the process of reducing or
| separating something into components. 6 the smallest interval measurable
| by a telescope or other scientific instrument. 7 the degree of detail
| visible in a photographic or television image.
But in this case Cambridge suffices. The normal meanings of
"resolution" do not include "solution" as used in chemistry.

That it was meant so is merely your unfounded assumption that allows you to
start a flamewar once more.
Resolution is, in essence, a separation;
Exactly.

solution is in essence an incorporation.

Rather than using a dictionary written only in what is to you a foreign
language, you should use a suitable English-German dictionary; then you
should be able to understand the explanations.

Rather than depending what you call a suitable English-German dictionary for
what is or is not the correct translation for a word to what is to you a
foreign language, you should ask someone who speaks German as native
language. JFYI: The translations your dictionary provided are _not_
sufficient.

PointedEars