Get SessionID for all persons using the application?

Hillbilly

How might that data be collected? I'm thinking of using a collection of all
SessionID values to determine what files should not be deleted when a
RecycleBin in an ASP.NET application is emptied every 5th user to come
online.

Hillbilly

I won't need to empty the RecycleBin for any files named using the value of
an active SessionID. Its an idea I'm trying to work out for keeping
temporary files deleted from a RecycleBin every so often, like every 5th or
every 10th Session for example.

Got a another idea? I haven't even bothered to search around yet.

Hillbilly

Mark Rae said:
[top-posting corrected]
I won't need to empty the RecycleBin for any files named using the value
of an active SessionID. Its an idea I'm trying to work out for keeping
temporary files deleted from a RecycleBin every so often, like every 5th
or every 10th Session for example.

Yes, but the problem here is the unless you force your users to log out,
your web application will never know about it until their Session times
out automatically, by default after 20 minutes of activity.

E.g.

User A visits your site and leaves 1 minute later
User B visits your site and leaves 2 minutes later
User C visits your site and leaves 3 minutes later

How many active users would you think there would be? Unless you force the
users to log out, until all of the above sessions time out ASP.NET will
think they are all still active...

Its not that critical. I just don't want a shitload of files accumulating
and I suppose I can test for file(s) older than the current day for example
now that I've been pondering how to approach this issue. Thanks for your
comments Mark. I just haven't found a best practice approach for cleaning
old files from a website...