    SessionID values to determine what files should not be deleted when a
    RecycleBin in an ASP.NET application is emptied every 5th user to come
    online.

    Hillbilly, Sep 11, 2008

  2. Alexey Smirnov, Sep 11, 2008

  3. Hillbilly

    Hillbilly Guest

    I won't need to empty the RecycleBin for any files named using the value of
    an active SessionID. Its an idea I'm trying to work out for keeping
    temporary files deleted from a RecycleBin every so often, like every 5th or
    every 10th Session for example.

    Got a another idea? I haven't even bothered to search around yet.

    Hillbilly, Sep 11, 2008
  4. Hillbilly

    Hillbilly Guest

    Damn thank you for reminding me of the FAQ. I should have remembered to look
    there.

    http://www.aspdotnetfaq.com/Faq/How...-currently-browsing-your-ASP-NET-website.aspx

    Hillbilly, Sep 11, 2008
  5. Hillbilly

    Hillbilly Guest

    > "Hillbilly" <> wrote in message
    >
    > [top-posting corrected]

    >>> But how will you know when someone has left the site? Are you going to
    >>> have some sort of mechanism for them to log out?

    >> I won't need to empty the RecycleBin for any files named using the value
    >> of an active SessionID. Its an idea I'm trying to work out for keeping
    >> temporary files deleted from a RecycleBin every so often, like every 5th
    >> or every 10th Session for example.

    > Yes, but the problem here is the unless you force your users to log out,
    > your web application will never know about it until their Session times
    > out automatically, by default after 20 minutes of activity.
    >
    > E.g.
    >
    > User A visits your site and leaves 1 minute later
    > User B visits your site and leaves 2 minutes later
    > User C visits your site and leaves 3 minutes later
    >
    > How many active users would you think there would be? Unless you force the
    > users to log out, until all of the above sessions time out ASP.NET will
    > think they are all still active...
    >

    > --
    > Mark Rae
    > ASP.NET MVP
    > http://www.markrae.net

    Its not that critical. I just don't want a shitload of files accumulating
    and I suppose I can test for file(s) older than the current day for example
    now that I've been pondering how to approach this issue. Thanks for your
    comments Mark. I just haven't found a best practice approach for cleaning
    old files from a website...

    Hillbilly, Sep 11, 2008