    built-in ID to figure out what's out there.

    Is there a way to get that info portably?

    John Nagle
    John Nagle, Mar 30, 2011

  2. John Nagle

    Tim Golden Guest

    On 30/03/2011 20:01, John Nagle wrote:
    > Is there some way to get the USB ID of a serial port through
    > pyserial on Linux and/or Windows? USB serial port devices have
    > device names determined by when they were plugged in. So, if
    > you have more than one USB serial device, you need the USB device's
    > built-in ID to figure out what's out there.
    >
    > Is there a way to get that info portably?

    I appreciate that you're after a portable solution and are
    using pyserial, but since no-one's responded (publicly), then
    let me at least offer a WMI solution which should work on
    Windows:

    <code>
    import win32com.client

    wmi = win32com.client.GetObject ("winmgmts:")
    for usb in wmi.InstancesOf ("Win32_USBHub"):
    print usb.DeviceID

    </code>

    Now, that shows that WMI can "see" USB devices, but to
    get from that database record to something more physical,
    such as a disk drive or a COM port usually involves a
    merry dance across the WMI namespace, essentially joining
    to successive entity classes until you reach the one you
    want.

    If you think this might be worth pursuing for your case,
    feel free to get back and ask.

    TJG
    Tim Golden, Mar 31, 2011