Get userID from Active Directory.

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Lin Ma, Sep 22, 2003.

  1. Lin Ma

    Lin Ma Guest

    I first post this to win2000.active_directory group and I find out it may be
    a wrong group.

    I hope this group can help me.

    Hello,

    In ASP page, does any one knows how to get user network login ID from user
    email address?

    In my company, we use win 2000 server with active directory.

    In my ASP page, when input an email address, I need search to find the user
    network login ID.

    How to do this?

    Thanks for your help.

    Lin Ma

    Lin Ma, Sep 22, 2003

  2. Lin Ma

    Ray at Guest

    Is using Windows authentication on your site an option instead? If you
    enable that, you will get DOMAIN\username in
    REquest.ServerVariables("LOGON_USER").

    Ray at work

    Ray at, Sep 22, 2003

  3. Lin Ma

    Lin Ma Guest

    Ray,

    Thanks for the response.

    Unfortunately, the logon user is querying other user's network ID by their
    email address. So the Request.ServerVariables("LOGON_USER") will not working
    at this case.

    Any other idea please?

    Thanks,

    Lin Ma

    Lin Ma, Sep 22, 2003
  4. Lin Ma

    Ray at Guest

    Ah, I see.

    If it were on my network, the person's username would simpy be:

    sEmailAddress = ""
    aUsername = Split(sEmailAddress & "@", "@")
    sUsername = aUsername(0)

    Maybe you could create a MAPI session and use the resolve method. ?

    Ray at work

    Ray at, Sep 22, 2003
  5. Lin Ma

    Lin Ma Guest

    Ray,

    Thanks for this try. But the user ID is not formatted the same way because
    we merged with other company.

    we keep the same email format which is

    Like my user id is MAL (lastname and firstname initial), but my email is

    Others use firstname.lastname as network logon ID.

    And some other format.

    Any other idea? thanks a lot for the help.

    Lin Ma

    Lin Ma, Sep 22, 2003
  6. Lin Ma

    Ray at Guest

    Perhaps asking in m.p.active.directory.interfaces would yield better
    how to do it in VBS or JS or any language for that matter.

    Ray at work

    Ray at, Sep 22, 2003
  7. Lin Ma

    Lin Ma Guest

    Ray,

    Thanks for the tries and the direction.

    I will post a question in that group.

    Have a blessing day.

    Lin Ma

    Lin Ma, Sep 22, 2003
  8. Lin Ma

    MSFT Guest

    Hi Lin,

    I think you may perform some LDAP query in your ASP page to check the user
    account. You may refer to following articles on this:

    HOW TO: Use ADSI to Access Exchange User Data from an ASP Page
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;253568

    HOWTO: Find Mail/Mailbox-Enabled Users in the Active Directory
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;252650

    Hope this hlepful,

    Luke
    Microsoft Online Partner Support