getAttribute in IE

jeff

I'm doing a little form field checking:

<label for="field_one">Field One</label>

I'd like to know the "for" value.

In Firefox I can do:

label_reference.getAttribute("for").

In IE (I'm testing in IE6 at the moment), I get "null", not what I was
hoping for!

How do I do this?

Jeff

jeff

jeff said:
I'm doing a little form field checking:

<label for="field_one">Field One</label>

I'd like to know the "for" value.

In Firefox I can do:

label_reference.getAttribute("for").

In IE (I'm testing in IE6 at the moment), I get "null", not what I was
hoping for!

Turns out to be: htmlFor

doing:

for (var x in label_reference)

turned up that, and it seems like a thousand others!

Jeff

David Mark

Turns out to be: htmlFor

That's the property name as - for - is a reserved word, it can't be
used as a property name. It's the same reason that the - class -
attribute value is referenced by the - className - property. IE < 8
and compatibility mode confuse attributes and properties, so it is
best to avoid getAttribute whenever possible (virtually always in
HTML). Just reference the property:-

label_reference.htmlFor
doing:

for (var x in  label_reference)

turned up that, and it seems like a thousand others!

Those are properties.