getch equivalent of method in ruby ?

Googy

Hi,

I need to read some interactive input from keyboard and I am look for
getch (c equivalent) of method in ruby.

Thanks in advance.

Lincoln Anderson

Michael W. Ryder

Paul said:
Since you mention "getch()", which is non-standard and only available on the
Windows platform, I have to say there is no equivalent to it in any
portable languages. Another poster recommends manipulating the input stream
on Linux or another Unix, and if you have this option, that is an obvious
way to go, but it isn't portable between platforms.

The is no platform-portable keystroke-by-keystroke input method.

Curses is platform-portable, uses getch() to get keystrokes, and works
with Ruby.

Michael W. Ryder

Paul said:
I'll flesh out my reply. There is no platform-portable
keystroke-by-keystroke input method that doesn't require an external
utility to get around this limitation, and that takes a different form on
each platform that you try to implement it on.

????? Curses is a library that works the same on all platforms. There
is no need to learn anything new to use it under windows, Unix, etc.
Business Basic (or BBX) included the ability to input single characters
over 30 years ago and the same programs and files worked on machines
from PCs to dedicated minicomputers to mainframes. I know that Business
Basic will not work with Ruby but the implementation is not that hard.

James Edward Gray II

The is no platform-portable keystroke-by-keystroke input method.

HighLine has a method you can use for this though. The code for that
is in one file and pure Ruby, so vendor that and you're all set.

James Edward Gray II