getElementById question

Guest

Hello,
I have one button in the aspx page called btnSubmit which i need to disable
using javascript
the document.getElementById("btn_Submit").Enabled=false returns an error
and the
document.getElementById('_ctl0_ContentPlaceHolder1_btnSubmit').Enabled=false
works fine but how can i get that _ctl0_ContentPlaceHolder1_btnSubmit' ? now
i looked in the "view source" of the actual page

thanks,
akis

Guest

You can get the ID of the control on the clientside via the ClientID property
of the control. So when you render the script in your code do it in this way:
document.getElementById('" + myControl.ClientID + "');

At least this works for me.

vinu

Hi,
The reason script is not working because there is no property called
Enabled in JavaScript,
every one make this mistake. To disable a control use Disabled property

See the following link for HTML reference
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/workshop/author/dhtml/dhtml_node_entry.asp

Can you see a property called Enabled...????

Hope the following code might help you...
<script language="JavaScript">

function test()

{

document.getElementById("Button1").disabled=true

}

</script>

<form id="form1" runat="server" >

<asp:Button ID="Button1" runat="server" Text="Button" /></div>

</form>

vinu

Karl Seguin [MVP]

don't you mean something more along the lines of:

document.getElementById("<%=myControl.ClientId%>");

Karl

Guest

thanks all three of you,
a compination of the answers gives me results

TextBox1.Attributes.Add("OnChange", "getElementById('"+Button1.ClientID+
"').disabled=true");

Guest

If it's done in the aspx file then do it your way, in the code behind file
when you render it somehow like output.write(...) then in my way. ;)