GetSavedLicenseKey doesn't work in an ASP.NET web application (HELP)

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Building Controls' started by Gabriel, Feb 3, 2004.

  1. Gabriel

    Gabriel Guest

    hi, I am in the same situation that Mark when posted the following
    message some months ago.

    Mark wrote...
    When compiling an ASP.NET application which contains a licensed
    control,
    VS.NET automatically calls LC.EXE to embed the "licenses" resource in
    the
    ASP.NET project dll for all licensed controls as listed in
    license.licx. (
    This is done for all licensed controls whose providers call
    context.SetSavedLicenceKey in LicenseProvider::GetLicense in the
    constructor
    of the control ). I have check the MANIFEST of the compiled ASP.NET
    assembly
    and their is a "licenses" resource that appears to be there.

    The problem is that at runtime, context.GetSavedLicenseKey called from
    the
    control doesn't work. I assume this is because the Framework can't
    locate
    the ASP.NET assembly because it has been shadow-copied somewhere...???

    Thus any control developer who needs to license a control which may be
    consumed in an ASP.NET web application must implement an alternative
    licence
    storage location ( eg LIC file ) is GetSavedLicenseKEy doesn't work.

    For me this is a licensing show-stopper, because I have to distribute
    licence files with my web control, and these are a sinch to
    copy/pirate.

    If anyone can show how to succesfully use context.GetSavedLicenseKey
    from a
    control within an ASP.NET web application please do! Else could
    someone from
    Microsoft please confirm that it is impossible to do so!

    Is there any solution for this issue?

    Thanks in advance

    Gabriel
    Gabriel, Feb 3, 2004

  2. Gabriel

    Bernd Guest

    I want compile the license in a dll instead into a exe

    So I think I call

    string sAssemblyPath = "TheDLLWithTheLicense.dll"
    Assembly a = Assembly.LoadFrom(sAssemblyPath)
    string key3 = context.GetSavedLicenseKey(type, a )

    instead of

    string key1 = context.GetSavedLicenseKey(type, null )

    Like in a .exe I see the key in the .dll IDL File, when I load it with a editor

    But context.GetSavedLicenseKey(type, a ) returns null

    May you help me
    Bernd, Feb 19, 2004

  3. Gabriel

    Gabriel Guest

    Hi Bernd

    I'm working to fix this issue at the moment.
    So I will send you the solution ASAP.

    If you want, contact me at private.

    Regards

    Gabriel Fogante