Getting a CPAN module to install in the location of my choice.

Patrick Flaherty

Been using ActiveState perl for a while. And even VMS perl (the latter has been
quite handy in handling our legacy system).

With new modules always used PPM. Was aware of CPAN and had looked around
there. But, in retrospect, I guess ever module I'd actually done a ppm 'search'
and then 'install' on had been in the ActiveState repository.

Today I find a module on CPAN that I need: MQSeries-1.23. And then I find that
it's not in PPM!

Duh. Then learn a good bit about repositories in general.

Can't use PPM. Instead use:

1. perl -MCPAN -e shell then
2. cpan> make install H/HB/HBIERSMA/MQSeries-1.23.tar.gz

Didn't build at first - finally realized I needed to have the actual MQSeries
client from IBM installed. We do own this; found the kit; and installed it.

And then it built with the above cpan command (make install).

Except for one problem. It didn't put the install module into my standard perl
tree (installation). Which is c:\perl.

Instead it put it under

z:\.cpan\build

Which is where I find myself located when I open a CMD window. Looking among my
environment vars, I find both HOME and HOMEDRIVE mapped to Z:\ (and maybe
there's something more mapping to Z: that I've missed [and that the cpan install
used]).

So how do I repoint the CPAN install to C:\? Which is apparently not my default
drive, as seen from something.

pat

[...]

nmake install
in
z:\.cpan\Build\MQSeries-1.23

puts it under c:\perl

The fact that the module goes under a 'Build' directory under
..cpan should be a tip-off.

however it goes under C:\Perl\site\lib\MSWin32-x86-multi-thread
where, for some reason, the documentation doesn't seem to integrate.

Nevertheless I can (at a first pass), compile and run:

use MQClient::MQSeries;

$Name = 'NODENAME';

$Hconn = MQCONN($Name,$CompCode,$Reason);
MQDISC($Hconn,$CompCode,$Reason);