Getting a page to refresh the parent, even when not loaded from the parent?

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by Bill S., May 7, 2004.

  1. Bill S.

    Bill S. Guest

    Hey, I am trying to figure this out. The hyperlinks on my page open
    up a small popup window. I have no reason to refresh the parent page
    or what have you. I was living in a very happy world, with no
    problems or disturbances. However, a problem has since arisen: The
    search engines have indexed these popup pages. So, you load them, but
    there are no links on them, and there is no parent page. Many people
    would not check out the url and go to the base domain or what have
    you. So, I feel I'm losing visitors. I had thought, if it's
    possible, I'd like to have the popups refresh the parent page on
    that have the parent page open, but for the ones that don't - people
    who get to the popup urls from the Search Engines. Therefore, I was
    wondering if it's possible to do this so that, if the parent page does
    not exist (is not open), it will be loaded (in another window of
    course)?
    Is this possible, and if so, how would I go about this?

    Thanks!!

    Bill S., May 7, 2004

  2. Bill S.

    Ivo Guest

    "Bill S." wrote
    > Hey, I am trying to figure this out. The hyperlinks on my page open
    > up a small popup window. I have no reason to refresh the parent page
    > or what have you. I was living in a very happy world, with no
    > problems or disturbances. However, a problem has since arisen: The
    > search engines have indexed these popup pages. So, you load them, but
    > there are no links on them, and there is no parent page. Many people
    > would not check out the url and go to the base domain or what have
    > you. So, I feel I'm losing visitors. I had thought, if it's
    > possible, I'd like to have the popups refresh the parent page on
    > that have the parent page open, but for the ones that don't - people
    > who get to the popup urls from the Search Engines. Therefore, I was
    > wondering if it's possible to do this so that, if the parent page does
    > not exist (is not open), it will be loaded (in another window of
    > course)?
    > Is this possible, and if so, how would I go about this?

    The popped up document should check whether the reffering page is one of
    yours. If not, show users your alternative message, possibly auto-redirect
    (less user-friendly). A script in the popup could also check if it has an
    opener (if not, it isn't a popup - I think this is what you mean with
    "parent", which I find confusing because they are from the frames
    terminology) but this is less reliable because some search engines alos make
    their results open in a new window.
    HTH
    Ivo

    Ivo, May 7, 2004

  3. Bill S.

    Bill S. Guest

    "Ivo" <> wrote in message news:<409beeb4$0$54139$>...
    > "Bill S." wrote
    > > Hey, I am trying to figure this out. The hyperlinks on my page open
    > > up a small popup window. I have no reason to refresh the parent page
    > > or what have you. I was living in a very happy world, with no
    > > problems or disturbances. However, a problem has since arisen: The
    > > search engines have indexed these popup pages. So, you load them, but
    > > there are no links on them, and there is no parent page. Many people
    > > would not check out the url and go to the base domain or what have
    > > you. So, I feel I'm losing visitors. I had thought, if it's
    > > possible, I'd like to have the popups refresh the parent page on
    > > that have the parent page open, but for the ones that don't - people
    > > who get to the popup urls from the Search Engines. Therefore, I was
    > > wondering if it's possible to do this so that, if the parent page does
    > > not exist (is not open), it will be loaded (in another window of
    > > course)?
    > > Is this possible, and if so, how would I go about this?

    > The popped up document should check whether the reffering page is one of
    > yours. If not, show users your alternative message, possibly auto-redirect
    > (less user-friendly). A script in the popup could also check if it has an
    > opener (if not, it isn't a popup - I think this is what you mean with
    > "parent", which I find confusing because they are from the frames
    > terminology) but this is less reliable because some search engines alos make
    > their results open in a new window.
    > HTH
    > Ivo

    Thanks a lot for the info. Ok, the first option is perfect. But can
    I have instead of auto direct, a full screen popup? So people that
    come from within the referring page (can I do two or 3 referring
    pages?), they would have a null and nothing would happen, but from
    anything outside, it would load the main page as a "normal page"
    popup? How would I write this? I'm not too swift at javascript, so
    any pointers would be appreciated!!

    Thanks!!

    Bill S., May 8, 2004