Getting a Ruby script to run on a colleague's Mac

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Sharon, May 23, 2007.

  1. Sharon

    Sharon Guest

    I wrote a Ruby script that's working fine on my own Windows machine at
    work. I wanted to share it with a colleague who uses a Mac at the
    office, but I can't get it to run.

    The script needs several libraries, including the rss library.

    On my Windows machine, the script says

    require 'rss'

    and that works fine. I found the location of Ruby files on her machine,
    but

    require '/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rss'

    gives me an error that there's no such file. If I use

    require '/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rss/rss.rb'

    then the script finds that file but starts throwing other errors.

    I have included #! /usr/in/env ruby

    at the top of the script

    Installing Ruby on her machine, instead of using the already installed
    version, isn't an option.

    Thanks for any help you can offer. I'm not really familiar with Mac OS
    X.

    Sharon, May 23, 2007

  2. Sharon

    Keynan Pratt Guest

    Which begs the the question why cant you reinstall the ruby interpreter
    as well as does your colleague have ruby gems installed?

    For that matter what are these other errors you mention and how are we
    supposed to without knowing?

    Mac OS is effectively a non-locked down Linux with a windowsy interface

    Keynan Pratt, May 24, 2007

  3. On May 23, 2007, at 6:33 PM, Sharon wrote:

    > I wrote a Ruby script that's working fine on my own Windows machine at
    > work. I wanted to share it with a colleague who uses a Mac at the
    > office, but I can't get it to run.
    >
    > The script needs several libraries, including the rss library.
    >
    > On my Windows machine, the script says
    >
    > require 'rss'
    >
    > and that works fine.

    I'm surprised, but I know nothing about Ruby on Windows. On my iMac,

    require 'rss/2.0'

    works.

    Regards, Morton

    Morton Goldberg, May 24, 2007
  4. Sharon

    highlyjhi Guest

    I had the same problem with the RSS. Since 10.4 comes with Ruby 1.8.2
    (which doesn't have the RSS class) you'll need to update Ruby in
    order for your script to work. Why is that not an option for your
    colleague?

    highlyjhi, May 24, 2007
  5. Sharon

    matt neuburg Guest

    Sharon <> wrote:

    > I wrote a Ruby script that's working fine on my own Windows machine at
    > work. I wanted to share it with a colleague who uses a Mac at the
    > office, but I can't get it to run.
    >
    > The script needs several libraries, including the rss library.
    >
    > On my Windows machine, the script says
    >
    > require 'rss'
    >
    > and that works fine. I found the location of Ruby files on her machine,
    > but
    >
    > require '/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rss'
    >
    > gives me an error that there's no such file.

    Why are you not saying simply require 'rss' just as in Windows? That
    works fine on my Mac; require '/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rss' does not. m.

    --
    matt neuburg, phd = , http://www.tidbits.com/matt/
    Tiger - http://www.takecontrolbooks.com/tiger-customizing.html

    matt neuburg, May 24, 2007
  6. unknown wrote:
    > Sharon <> wrote:
    >
    >> and that works fine. I found the location of Ruby files on her machine,
    >> but
    >>
    >> require '/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rss'
    >>
    >> gives me an error that there's no such file.

    > Why are you not saying simply require 'rss' just as in Windows? That
    > works fine on my Mac; require '/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rss' does not. m.

    Thanks for letting me know how it works on your Mac. I changed to the
    full path because when I tried

    require 'rss'

    I got an error message saying there was no file with that name. And
    changing to the full path made that error message go away, so I was
    guessing that perhaps the full path was needed.

    Based on the previous message, it sounds like I'll need to see if I can
    update Ruby on my colleague's Mac.

    Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll investigate further. Otherwise, I'm
    afraid I'm going to have to rewrite the script in Perl (which I'm a lot
    more familiar with) and then put it on an internal server (as far as I
    know, I don't have access to a server here that has Ruby). The point of
    this whole exercise was to start learning Ruby. At least I got the
    script working on my own system!

    Sharon Machlis, May 24, 2007
  7. Sharon

    Dave Rose Guest

    Sharon Machlis wrote:
    > unknown wrote:
    >> Sharon <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> and that works fine. I found the location of Ruby files on her machine,
    >>> but
    >>>
    >>> require '/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rss'
    >>>
    >>> gives me an error that there's no such file.

    >> Why are you not saying simply require 'rss' just as in Windows? That
    >> works fine on my Mac; require '/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rss' does not. m.

    > Thanks for letting me know how it works on your Mac. I changed to the
    > full path because when I tried
    >
    > require 'rss'
    >
    > I got an error message saying there was no file with that name. And
    > changing to the full path made that error message go away, so I was
    > guessing that perhaps the full path was needed.
    >
    > Based on the previous message, it sounds like I'll need to see if I can
    > update Ruby on my colleague's Mac.
    >
    > Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll investigate further. Otherwise, I'm
    > afraid I'm going to have to rewrite the script in Perl (which I'm a lot
    > more familiar with) and then put it on an internal server (as far as I
    > know, I don't have access to a server here that has Ruby). The point of
    > this whole exercise was to start learning Ruby. At least I got the
    > script working on my own system!

    a couple of things sharon....
    1.) what ruby version do you have and your mac friend have (are they
    different)
    3.) $LOAD_PATH inside of IRb
    4.) ENV chk inside of IRB
    5.) do a LS of the MAC and check the acl of the RSS library inside a cmd
    prompt

    Dave Rose, May 24, 2007
  8. Sharon

    matt neuburg Guest

    Sharon Machlis <> wrote:

    > unknown wrote:
    > > Sharon <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> and that works fine. I found the location of Ruby files on her machine,
    > >> but
    > >>
    > >> require '/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rss'
    > >>
    > >> gives me an error that there's no such file.

    > > Why are you not saying simply require 'rss' just as in Windows? That
    > > works fine on my Mac; require '/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rss' does not. m.

    > Thanks for letting me know how it works on your Mac. I changed to the
    > full path because when I tried
    >
    > require 'rss'
    >
    > I got an error message saying there was no file with that name. And
    > changing to the full path made that error message go away, so I was
    > guessing that perhaps the full path was needed.

    I'm going to guess that the problem is that your friend has never
    installed the Developer Tools (Xcode). m.

    matt neuburg, May 24, 2007