Getting a single JS debugger of any kind to work.

Guest

Downloaded Microsoft Script editor. Did not appear to have any
functionality whatsoever. Deleted.

Downloaded Venkman 0.6.2. Got a .xpi file. Windows does not run that
file type. Useless.

Downloaded Frontpage 2003 and installed the script editor included.
Seems very nice. The problem though is that if you type F11 (step into)
the page will load into a new IE window but no Javascript will run and
the debug commands get greyed out as to make them entirely useless.
Gave up on it.

Downloaded Fusion 8. Would not let you open just one file and any
debugging capability is well hidden. Deleted.

Opened my .Net 2003. Does not appear to support Javscript.
Gave up after endless hours and am hoping for help!

James

Randy Webb

(e-mail address removed) wrote:

Downloaded Venkman 0.6.2. Got a .xpi file. Windows does not run that
file type. Useless.

Open Mozilla.
File>Open the .xpi file.
Venkman installs.

Problem Solved.

Guest

Randy, thanks for the advice. The download page oddly omitted the fact
that it was a plugin. I found a new page with a far newer version,
Venkman 0.9.84, and installed that over the old one.

But my problem isn't quite solved. First, shouldn't Venkman allow
people to edit their scripts? I opened my Javascript file and quickly
discovered it was an unquestionably read-only copy in the window. And
then when I press F11 all that happens is a message in the
message-window says "!! No stack".

Maybe I should uninstall it and try an older version of Venkman and/or
Mozilla?

Thanks,
James

Graham

Randy, thanks for the advice. The download page oddly omitted the fact
that it was a plugin. I found a new page with a far newer version,
Venkman 0.9.84, and installed that over the old one.

But my problem isn't quite solved. First, shouldn't Venkman allow
people to edit their scripts? I opened my Javascript file and quickly
discovered it was an unquestionably read-only copy in the window. And
then when I press F11 all that happens is a message in the
message-window says "!! No stack".

Maybe I should uninstall it and try an older version of Venkman and/or
Mozilla?

Thanks,
James

You should download the correct version of Venkman for your browser -
0.9.84 for Firefox 1.0, and 0.9.83 for any other Mozilla/Netscape browser.

I have found that the debugger itself has a few quirks, but
http://www.hacksrus.com/~ginda/venkman/faq/venkman-faq.html is a good
site for getting started.

Regards,
Graham

Guest

I do have the Firefox 1.0 Browser. But, when when I open my HTML file
it does not load into the "Loaded Scripts window". Perhaps there is
some way of getting the file into the loaded scripts window? Have you
gotten the Firefox debugger to step line by line? Seems like it would
take some sort of miracle at this point.