getting a windows java program to run on a mac and different java version

Eric

I have this windows java program that is ran from a bat file that
calls jre version 1.1.7A. Jre came with the program. I tried to run
it from my Mac and linux box both will run but I cannot type in the
program. All the buttons work though. I run java version 1.4.2 on
both of them. If I run it with java version 1.4.1 on my PC it does
the same thing. Is jre different from java in someway or is just the
different versions giving me all the problems. Any suggestions on how
to get it to work? Thanks. I am kindy new to java.

Andrew Thompson

Eric said:
..Thanks. I am kindy new to java.
http://groups.google.com.au/groups?group=comp.lang.java.help

I have this windows java program that is ran from a bat file that
calls jre version 1.1.7A.

That is using a JVM beyond the MS VM,
which I understand never made it beyond
1.1.4
..Jre came with the program.

What program?
..I tried to run
it from my Mac and linux box both will run but I cannot type in the
program. All the buttons work though. I run java version 1.4.2 on
both of them. If I run it with java version 1.4.1 on my PC it does
the same thing. Is jre different from java in someway or is just the
different versions giving me all the problems. Any suggestions on how
to get it to work?

It depends whether it is an
applet or application, and possibly
other factors. More information
is required.

Like..
What do you mean
'cannot type in the program'?

How do you know 'the buttons
work' if you cannot type in the
program, what do they do?

What is the name of the program?
Is it abandonware?
Is the source available?

Eric

Andrew Thompson said:
That is using a JVM beyond the MS VM,
which I understand never made it beyond
1.1.4

What program?
The program is called CHEERS. It is an expense report program wrote
for the company I work for. I would just like to get it running on
"os x".
It depends whether it is an
applet or application, and possibly
other factors. More information
is required. This is an application.

Like..
What do you mean
'cannot type in the program'?
I cannot type in the text boxes in CHEERS that allow you to login.
How do you know 'the buttons
work' if you cannot type in the
program, what do they do?
The help button brings up help, the exit button exits, the logon on
button says you must fill out the login information (but I cannot type
to fill it out), etc. All the buttons seem to work as they are
suppose to.
What is the name of the program?
Is it abandonware?
Is the source available?
I have the class files I extracted from some zip files but not the
source.

Andrew Thompson

Eric said:
"Andrew Thompson" ...
The program is called CHEERS. It is an expense report program wrote
for the company I work for. I would just like to get it running on
"os x".

If the program was written for your company,
it would stand to reason that either:
a) The source was given to your company
at the same time it was supplied.
b) The source was never part of the deal,
the idea being to return to the manufacturer
for any alterations.

The problem you face can (most probably)
_only_ be fixed with reference to the source
code. If you do not have source code access,
it would seem you are stuffed.

[ Any other ideas proving me wrong
are, of course, welcome. ]

Eric

Andrew Thompson said:
If the program was written for your company,
it would stand to reason that either:
a) The source was given to your company
at the same time it was supplied.
b) The source was never part of the deal,
the idea being to return to the manufacturer
for any alterations.

The problem you face can (most probably)
_only_ be fixed with reference to the source
code. If you do not have source code access,
it would seem you are stuffed.
It was either written by our corporate IT or they contracted some one
to do it. Either way I don't think I could get the source code and
they will not support macs at all. I was just trying to get it to run
on the Macs we have where I am at. I am more of the local IT here.
Thanks for the help though.