    the same thing. Is jre different from java in someway or is just the
    different versions giving me all the problems. Any suggestions on how
    to get it to work? Thanks. I am kindy new to java.
    Eric, Feb 17, 2004

    http://groups.google.com.au/groups?group=comp.lang.java.help

    > I have this windows java program that is ran from a bat file that
    > calls jre version 1.1.7A.

    That is using a JVM beyond the MS VM,
    which I understand never made it beyond
    1.1.4

    >..Jre came with the program.

    What program?

    >..I tried to run
    > it from my Mac and linux box both will run but I cannot type in the
    > program. All the buttons work though. I run java version 1.4.2 on
    > both of them. If I run it with java version 1.4.1 on my PC it does
    > the same thing. Is jre different from java in someway or is just the
    > different versions giving me all the problems. Any suggestions on how
    > to get it to work?

    It depends whether it is an
    applet or application, and possibly
    other factors. More information
    is required.

    Like..
    What do you mean
    'cannot type in the program'?

    How do you know 'the buttons
    work' if you cannot type in the
    program, what do they do?

    What is the name of the program?
    Is it abandonware?
    Is the source available?

    --
    Andrew Thompson
    Andrew Thompson, Feb 17, 2004

  3. Eric

    Eric Guest

    "Andrew Thompson" <> wrote in message news:<zYuYb.64001$>...
    > Eric wrote:
    > > ..Thanks. I am kindy new to java.

    > http://groups.google.com.au/groups?group=comp.lang.java.help
    >
    > > I have this windows java program that is ran from a bat file that
    > > calls jre version 1.1.7A.

    > That is using a JVM beyond the MS VM,
    > which I understand never made it beyond
    > 1.1.4
    >
    > >..Jre came with the program.

    > What program?

    The program is called CHEERS. It is an expense report program wrote
    for the company I work for. I would just like to get it running on
    "os x".

    > >..I tried to run
    > > it from my Mac and linux box both will run but I cannot type in the
    > > program. All the buttons work though. I run java version 1.4.2 on
    > > both of them. If I run it with java version 1.4.1 on my PC it does
    > > the same thing. Is jre different from java in someway or is just the
    > > different versions giving me all the problems. Any suggestions on how
    > > to get it to work?

    > It depends whether it is an
    > applet or application, and possibly
    > other factors. More information
    > is required.

    This is an application.

    > Like..
    > What do you mean
    > 'cannot type in the program'?

    I cannot type in the text boxes in CHEERS that allow you to login.

    > How do you know 'the buttons
    > work' if you cannot type in the
    > program, what do they do?

    The help button brings up help, the exit button exits, the logon on
    button says you must fill out the login information (but I cannot type
    to fill it out), etc. All the buttons seem to work as they are
    suppose to.

    > What is the name of the program?
    > Is it abandonware?
    > Is the source available?

    I have the class files I extracted from some zip files but not the
    source.
    Eric, Feb 18, 2004
  4. Eric wrote:
    > "Andrew Thompson" ...
    >> Eric wrote:

    >>> I have this windows java program that is ran from a bat file that
    >>> calls jre version 1.1.7A.

    >> What program?

    > The program is called CHEERS. It is an expense report program wrote
    > for the company I work for. I would just like to get it running on
    > "os x".

    If the program was written for your company,
    it would stand to reason that either:
    a) The source was given to your company
    at the same time it was supplied.
    b) The source was never part of the deal,
    the idea being to return to the manufacturer
    for any alterations.

    The problem you face can (most probably)
    _only_ be fixed with reference to the source
    code. If you do not have source code access,
    it would seem you are stuffed.

    [ Any other ideas proving me wrong
    are, of course, welcome. ]

    --
    Andrew Thompson
    Andrew Thompson, Feb 18, 2004
  5. Eric

    Eric Guest

    "Andrew Thompson" <> wrote in message news:<LKLYb.65379$>...
    > Eric wrote:

    > >> What program?

    > > The program is called CHEERS. It is an expense report program wrote
    > > for the company I work for. I would just like to get it running on
    > > "os x".

    > If the program was written for your company,
    > it would stand to reason that either:
    > a) The source was given to your company
    > at the same time it was supplied.
    > b) The source was never part of the deal,
    > the idea being to return to the manufacturer
    > for any alterations.
    >
    > The problem you face can (most probably)
    > _only_ be fixed with reference to the source
    > code. If you do not have source code access,
    > it would seem you are stuffed.

    It was either written by our corporate IT or they contracted some one
    to do it. Either way I don't think I could get the source code and
    they will not support macs at all. I was just trying to get it to run
    on the Macs we have where I am at. I am more of the local IT here.
    Thanks for the help though.
    Eric, Feb 18, 2004