    Is there any way I can get such lists as news?

    Thank you very much.
    Jim Keenan

    Jim Keenan, Oct 14, 2004

  2. Jim Keenan <> wrote in
    news:WJlbd.1210$6W6.315@trndny05:

    > My ISP's news server (news.verizon.net) distributes only a limited
    > number of Perl USENET news groups. In particular, they do not carry
    > perl.qa.

    Am I missing something here? Why don't you add nntp.perl.org to your list
    of news servers?

    Sinan.

    A. Sinan Unur, Oct 14, 2004

  3. Jim Keenan

    Mark Day Guest

    Out fo curiosity, what heirarchy is per.qa on, alt.* comp.* or which one?

    Thanks

    Mark Day, Oct 14, 2004
  4. Jim Keenan <> wrote:
    > My ISP's news server (news.verizon.net) distributes only a limited
    > number of Perl USENET news groups. In particular, they do not carry
    > perl.qa.

    Did you mean the "perl-qa" mailing list?

    If so, then it is not a Usenet newsgroup, it is a mailing list.

    If not, then where did you hear of the perl.qa newsgroup?

    I cannot find any evidence of it.

    > I would like to be able to follow this and even
    > more obscure lists

    But "this" is not a "list" (as in "mailing list") this is a
    Usenet newsgroup.

    > Is there any way I can get such lists as news?

    There is a significant difference between a newsgroup and a
    mailing list. Obscuring the difference by accessing them
    the same way hides the difference yet further.

    You can subscribe to perl-qa and have the same back-and-forth
    as in newsgroups, but it will be via SMTP rather than NNTP.

    What is your objection to simply subscribing to the mailing
    lists that you want to participate in?

    If you tell us the real problem you are trying to overcome,
    we may be able to suggest how to overcome it. :)

    --
    Tad McClellan SGML consulting
    Perl programming

    Tad McClellan, Oct 14, 2004
  5. Tad McClellan <> wrote in

    > Jim Keenan <> wrote:
    >> My ISP's news server (news.verizon.net) distributes only a limited
    >> number of Perl USENET news groups. In particular, they do not carry
    >> perl.qa.

    > Did you mean the "perl-qa" mailing list?
    >
    > If so, then it is not a Usenet newsgroup, it is a mailing list.
    >
    > If not, then where did you hear of the perl.qa newsgroup?
    >
    > I cannot find any evidence of it.

    Just FYI.

    That was my first reaction as well. On closer inspection, however, there
    seems to be some sort of mail-news gateway. Indeed, if you look at, say,
    http://www.nntp.perl.org/group/perl.qa, there is a link titled:

    read in newsreader

    toward the top of the page. Clicking on that opened my newsreader which
    then connected to nntp.perl.org and downloaded a newsrc file and finally
    showed me all the messages for perl.qa. I did not try posting (for the
    obvious reason that I did not have anything to say) but I have a feeling it
    would work.

    OTOH, clearly it would have been in the OP's interest to first have tried
    that link.

    This was a nice surprise to me as I do prefer my newsreader's interface to
    the web based one as well.

    Sinan.

    A. Sinan Unur, Oct 14, 2004
  6. On 2004-10-14, Tad McClellan <> wrote:
    > Jim Keenan <> wrote:
    >> My ISP's news server (news.verizon.net) distributes only a limited
    >> number of Perl USENET news groups. In particular, they do not carry
    >> perl.qa.

    > Did you mean the "perl-qa" mailing list?
    >
    > If so, then it is not a Usenet newsgroup, it is a mailing list.
    >
    > If not, then where did you hear of the perl.qa newsgroup?
    >
    > I cannot find any evidence of it.

    One must keep in mind that the perl mailing lists tend to have a gateway
    to usenettieness. Or not, I suppose. :)

    If one uses nntp.perl.org as one's news server, one can find these
    mailing lists as newsgroups (which is probably the answer to Jim's
    original question - point your newsreader at a different server). I
    often find this kind of handy for lists that I only look at
    occasionally.

    dha
    Any country that has the words "play ball" in its national anthem
    can't be all bad.
    - Greg McCarroll

    David H. Adler, Oct 14, 2004
  7. Jim Keenan

    Peter Scott Guest

    In article <>,
    "David H. Adler" <> writes:
    >On 2004-10-14, Tad McClellan <> wrote:
    >> If not, then where did you hear of the perl.qa newsgroup?
    >>
    >> I cannot find any evidence of it.

    >One must keep in mind that the perl mailing lists tend to have a gateway
    >to usenettieness. Or not, I suppose. :)
    >
    >If one uses nntp.perl.org as one's news server, one can find these
    >mailing lists as newsgroups (which is probably the answer to Jim's
    >original question - point your newsreader at a different server).

    What's also helpful is that Google Groups indexes postings
    there under the perl.* hierarchy:

    http://groups.google.com/groups?safe=images&as_ugroup=perl.qa&lr=&hl=en

    --
    Peter Scott
    http://www.perldebugged.com/

    Peter Scott, Oct 14, 2004
  8. Jim Keenan

    Jim Keenan Guest

    A. Sinan Unur wrote:
    > Jim Keenan <> wrote in
    >

    >>My ISP's news server (news.verizon.net) distributes only a limited
    >>number of Perl USENET news groups. In particular, they do not carry
    >>perl.qa.

    > Am I missing something here? Why don't you add nntp.perl.org to your list
    > of news servers?

    And so I just did. For some inexplicable reason, the name
    notwithstanding, I was only aware of the web interface (the link you
    cited in your follow-up message) to the perl.org lists -- so I was
    thinking of them as mail lists rather than newsgroups. (I've also read
    the perl.org lists via Google as suggested by Peter Allen.)

    Actually, I think the reason is not inexplicable. I always look at the
    web interface at my day job -- where I don't have a newsreader.

    Part of the reason why I prefer to read these lists as news rather than
    through Google is that while I can post to Google and have it
    distributed right away, Google takes 6-9 hours to post messages on its
    own web page. So I've often replied to postings on this group or on
    c.l.p.modules, only to discover later that 4 other people (usually
    including Tad) had already read the original posting and posted

    Now let me extend this question a bit. What prompted me to post the
    original question was the discussion yesterday as to how Tad and others
    had Googled "retardo Perl" to discover the source of a quotation from
    MJD. But when I Googled "retardo Perl", I came up with many references
    to discussions of Perl in Spanish ... which led me to wonder, "How could
    I subscribe to Spanish language Usenet news groups?" Simply adding
    nntp.perl.org as a news server doesn't suffice for this.

    Any further ideas? Thanks to all.
    Jim Keenan

    Jim Keenan, Oct 15, 2004
  9. On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 01:03:32 GMT, Jim Keenan
    <> wrote:

    >Actually, I think the reason is not inexplicable. I always look at the
    >web interface at my day job -- where I don't have a newsreader.

    Pfui! I installed FreeAgent there[*]! But then I also "installed"
    putty to log to my university Linux account and read mail, etc. ;-)

    Of course this was possible on account of their total lack of security
    measueres/controls, etc.

    [*] And set up a tiny bat using xdelta to keep data consistent with my
    home's installation.

    Michele

    Michele Dondi, Oct 15, 2004
  10. Jim Keenan <> wrote:

    > Google takes 6-9 hours to post messages on its
    > own web page. So I've often replied to postings on this group or on
    > c.l.p.modules, only to discover later that 4 other people (usually
    > including Tad) had already read the original posting and posted

    Beetcha!

    Nah nah, nah nah nah!

    Tad McClellan, Oct 15, 2004