getting all the input elements of a form tag

yawnmoth

I'm trying to get a list of all the input elements of a form tag and
am having some difficulty doing so. First, here's my XHTML:

<form action="">
<input type="text" name="a" />
<input type="text" name="b" />
<input type="submit" />
</form>

It isn't semantically correct XHTML but that doesn't stop web
developers from coding like that.

Anyway, in both Firefox and IE, if you visit a webpage containing the
above, and hit the Submit button, the resultant URL will have both a
and b defined via GET.

I'd like to be able to get a list of the same input parameters that
the browser does for a given form element. I had been using "//
form[1]//input" as an XPath query, but that doesn't work, here,
because not all of the inputs are children of the form element.

Any ideas?

Johannes Koch

yawnmoth said:
I'm trying to get a list of all the input elements of a form tag and
am having some difficulty doing so. First, here's my XHTML:

<form action="">
<input type="text" name="a" />
<input type="text" name="b" />
<input type="submit" />
</form>

It isn't semantically correct XHTML

It's not well-formed, so it's not XML, so it's not XHTML.
but that doesn't stop web
developers from coding like that.

It's tag soup, but why do they call it XHTML?
Anyway, in both Firefox and IE, if you visit a webpage containing the
above, and hit the Submit button, the resultant URL will have both a
and b defined via GET.

I'd like to be able to get a list of the same input parameters that
the browser does for a given form element. I had been using "//
form[1]//input" as an XPath query, but that doesn't work, here,
because not all of the inputs are children of the form element.

Your parser has to reorganize the crap markup in order to create the
DOM, which, I assume, you execute the XPath query on. So check the DOM
that your parser creates.