Getting an exception "Keyword not supported: 'provider'."

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by =?Utf-8?B?dnZlbms=?=, Oct 7, 2005.

  1. Hello:

    I am trying to acccess an Gracle 10g database from within an ASP.NET
    application running on a Windows 2003 server.

    I have tried both the following connections strings:

    "Provider=msdaora;Data Source=MyOracleDB;User Id=UserName;Password=asdasd;"

    and

    "Provider=OraOLEDB.Oracle;Data Source=MyOracleDB;User
    Id=Username;Password=asdasd;"

    In both cases, I get an exception:

    "Keyword not supported: 'provider'."

    What am I doing wrong?

    Thanks.

    Venkat

    =?Utf-8?B?dnZlbms=?=, Oct 7, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?dnZlbms=?=

    Bruno Piovan Guest

    Hello Venkat,
    I work with sql server, but if I use the SQLConnection and set the
    "Provider" in the connection string, I get the same error, and all I need to
    do is remove the provider from the connection string, since the class
    sqlconnection is set to work with sql serve, so if you are using the class
    OracleConnection, try to just remove the provider from the connection
    string...

    Bruno

    Bruno Piovan, Oct 7, 2005

  3. Bruno:

    You are god-send! Thanks so much.

    =?Utf-8?B?dnZlbms=?=, Oct 7, 2005
  4. =?Utf-8?B?dnZlbms=?=

    sean557

    Joined:
    Mar 28, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    switch to an oledb connection rather than an sql connection

    for C# make sure to add this at top:

    using System.Data.OleDb

    OleDbDataReader,OleDbConnection,OleDbCommand are the object names you will use

    sean557, Mar 28, 2009