getting around external link block?

Steven

A message board I read does not keep an archive of it's old posts, but
you used to be able to bookmark the pages and look at them as long as
the main board was open in another window, even after they were not
shown on the board anymore.

Now the board has blocked external linking. Any paged looked at from a
bookmark or by manually entering the URL (even recent posts that are
still listed on the board) cannot be accessed.

I was told there was a way to bypass external link blocks with spoofer
programs, but can't find any further information.

thank you

brucie

I was told there was a way to bypass external link blocks with spoofer
programs, but can't find any further information.

turning off referer logging in your browser so no referer is sent
usually works or change the referer your browser sends. if you use a
browser that doesn't allow that the proxomitron proxy can do lots of
fun and giggly things including mirroring the current URI as the
referer thus bypassing scripts that check to see if the referer is
their domain. http://www.proxomitron.info/

Steven

Subject: Re: getting around external link block?
From: brucie (e-mail address removed)-html.org
Date: 9/19/2003 5:58 PM Eastern Daylight Time

turning off referer logging in your browser so no referer is sent
usually works or change the referer your browser sends. if you use a
browser that doesn't allow that the proxomitron proxy can do lots of
fun and giggly things including mirroring the current URI as the
referer thus bypassing scripts that check to see if the referer is
their domain. http://www.proxomitron.info/

Thanks Brucie. I tried turning off Referer Logging in Opera and that
made even current posts not work. I'll try the proxomitron proxy.

Steven

Steven

Thanks Brucie. I tried turning off Referer Logging in Opera and that
made even current posts not work. I'll try the proxomitron proxy.

Steven

I downloaded the Proxomitron. How do I mirror the current URL, I don't
see anything about that in the program? Thanks.

From: brucie (e-mail address removed)-html.org
Date: 9/22/2003 5:00 AM Eastern Daylight Time

I downloaded the Proxomitron. How do I mirror the current URL,

http://usenet.alt-html.org/proxy.png [18k]
I don't see anything about that in the program?

help > view help > and now... the default header filters (about the 4
last link on the page) > scroll down to > Referer: Hide where we've
been (Out)

I see the program was already set to that. But I'm not even sure I
have the Proxomitron working properly becasue it's also set to block
pop ups, and I'm still getting those.

brucie

I see the program was already set to that. But I'm not even sure I
have the Proxomitron working properly becasue it's also set to block
pop ups, and I'm still getting those.

are your sure your browsers are using the proxy? open the log window
and browse somewhere. if you don't see the GETs and server responses
your browser is not using the proxy. if a popup is blocked it will
show it in the log window in purple as:

<start>[GET/response number] kill popup windows

for example this is what my HTTP GET/response headers are when first
visiting http://anglefire.com/

+++GET 7886+++
Using Proxy - 80.177.60.210:80
GET http://anglefire.com/ HTTP/1.1
Accept: */*
Host: anglefire.com
Connection: keep-alive

+++RESP 7886+++
HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Via: 1.1 COMMS_SVR
Connection: close
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 06:33:27 GMT
Server: Apache/1.3.27 (Unix) mod_perl/1.27 mod_gzip/1.3.26.1a
Cneonction: close
<start> 7886: Kill pop-up windows <---- ***
BlockList 7886: in AdList, line 75
BlockList 7886: in AdKeys, line 24
Match 7886: Banner Replacer
BlockList 7886: in AdList, line 78
BlockList 7886: in AdKeys, line 24
Match 7886: Banner Replacer
Match 7886: Link De-Obfuscator
BlockList 7886: in AdList, line 78
BlockList 7886: in AdKeys, line 24
Match 7886: Banner Replacer
Match 7886: Link De-Obfuscator
Client opened: total 2
BlockList 7886: in AdKeys, line 21
Match 7886: Banner Replacer

Steven

Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 06:33:27 GMT
Server: Apache/1.3.27 (Unix) mod_perl/1.27 mod_gzip/1.3.26.1a
Cneonction: close
<start> 7886: Kill pop-up windows <---- ***
BlockList 7886: in AdList, line 75
BlockList 7886: in AdKeys, line 24
Match 7886: Banner Replacer
BlockList 7886: in AdList, line 78
BlockList 7886: in AdKeys, line 24
Match 7886: Banner Replacer
Match 7886: Link De-Obfuscator
BlockList 7886: in AdList, line 78
BlockList 7886: in AdKeys, line 24
Match 7886: Banner Replacer
Match 7886: Link De-Obfuscator
Client opened: total 2
BlockList 7886: in AdKeys, line 21
Match 7886: Banner Replacer

I have IE 6 set to use the proxy and the Proxomitron log window shows
no activity.

I just set up Opera to use the proxy and the Proxomitron log window is
now showing GETs and server responses. Unfortunately, I'm still not
able to get those old message board pages.

brucie

I have IE 6 set to use the proxy and the Proxomitron log window shows
no activity.

then you haven't set it up properly.

IE>tools>internet options>connections>settings>proxy server>[x]use a
proxy server.... >advanced>type>http:>localhost>port>8080

Steven

From: brucie (e-mail address removed)-html.org
Date: 9/23/2003 11:30 PM Eastern Daylight Time

I have IE 6 set to use the proxy and the Proxomitron log window shows
no activity.

then you haven't set it up properly.

IE>tools>internet options>connections>settings>proxy server>[x]use a
proxy server.... >advanced>type>http:>localhost>port>8080

That's how I have it setup. I am using AOL and I read on on some old
usenet posts people couldn't use Proxomitron with IE and AOL, but it
worked with other browsers. I tried Opera, and Proxomitron is working
with it (just not in getting those old message board posts)