getting back into the swing of things

bleed-22

Greetings, Java people.

It has been a long time since I last programmed. Think...
"page-flipping" in C when doing graphics on a 486/33..

Anyway.

I'm looking to write something in Java that uses a similar concept.
Basically, a pre-defined window of visibility. The Window is an
offset into a much larger area of "video memory."

I'm guessing there is no such thing in Java. Everything I've read
thus far on graphics programming in Java is stuff that writes directly
to the visible window. I don't like it. Flickering and what not.

Damn it's been a while.

Matt Humphrey

bleed-22 said:
Greetings, Java people.

It has been a long time since I last programmed. Think...
"page-flipping" in C when doing graphics on a 486/33..

Anyway.

I'm looking to write something in Java that uses a similar concept.
Basically, a pre-defined window of visibility. The Window is an
offset into a much larger area of "video memory."

I'm guessing there is no such thing in Java. Everything I've read
thus far on graphics programming in Java is stuff that writes directly
to the visible window. I don't like it. Flickering and what not.

Java graphics is fairly sophisticated and the built-in double-buffering will
keep the flickering at bay. Get a copy of the Java 2D API (and perhaps a
good tutorial book) and try to write something event-driven. Also, consider
the 3D API.

Cheers,
Matt Humphrey (e-mail address removed) http://www.iviz.com/

bleed-22

I got a book, I see some references to page-flipping and
double-buffering. Also, I found a text file on the web with a short
example of flip-chaining. Looks good.

Strange how these concepts haven't changed much in 10+ years.

I keep seeing different warnings about Java not being consistent from
platform to platform and from JVM to JVM. So, is this a big problem
or is it somewhat overstated?

Matt Humphrey

bleed-22 said:
I got a book, I see some references to page-flipping and
double-buffering. Also, I found a text file on the web with a short
example of flip-chaining. Looks good.

Strange how these concepts haven't changed much in 10+ years.

I keep seeing different warnings about Java not being consistent from
platform to platform and from JVM to JVM. So, is this a big problem
or is it somewhat overstated?

It's overstated. For the most part, I find the JVMs to be very good and
consistent (I use Sun's on W98, W2K and Blackdown on Linux), although none
are bug free. Microsoft's worthless. I havn't worked with others. I would
think that any (and necessarily minor) inconsistencies are due to
differences in the platforms themselves, such as process handling, file IO,
etc. Any major inconsistencies (e.g. faulty UI handling, bad graphics,
incorrect IO or database access) would be in a JVM, not in Java itself, and
I would think that competitive forces would produce a valid JVM. I havn't
seen the reverse where major platforms are unsupported due to the
infeasibility of producing a correct JVM. I don't do alot of cross-platform
development, so maybe others have a different experience.

Cheers,
Matt Humphrey (e-mail address removed) http://www.iviz.com/

Andrew Thompson

"Matt Humphrey" ...
| ..For the most part, I find the JVMs to be very good and
| consistent ....although none
| are bug free. Microsoft's worthless.

It is insecure. _Viruses_
exist for the MS JVM.